We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental horror

Which Trapani hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental horror

Wow, been reading around concerning car rental from trapani, and i can not believe the mayhem!

I am flying to trapani 19th of oct and booked a car through autoeurope with Firefly... after I booked, I searched for reviews of Firefly (I know... first search then book) and was completely flabbergasted by the massive scamming they do. So I canceled the booking right after making it at autoeurope (great!!).

Now I have booked a car at Budget but I can not find any reviews of them (probably a good thing I guess) Does anyone have experience with booking a rental at Trapani airport with Budget?

Grazie Mille

Dave

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,984 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental horror

Welcome to Sicily Dave_utrecht!

Budget is affiliated with Avis.

Car Rental Auto Europe v Budget:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k6729…

And AutoEurope is a very reputable and reliable broker - Any billings issues would be handled by AutoEurope.

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental horror

Thanks Vagabonda

I will search for Avis reviews then!

Now hoping for the weather to get a little better

:)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,984 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental horror

Prego Dave_utrecht,

Although it varies from location to location, it would be more accurate to search for Budget reviews.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews8018.html

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k6637…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4318…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k55644…

There are many other threads if you were to enter "Budget car rental" in both the Sicily and Italy forums.

Vagabonda

Edited: 3:07 pm, October 04, 2013
West Chester...
Level Contributor
953 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental horror

Recently rented from Pescara to Rome through Budget. Car had a couple of body problems but drove well. There were all noted on form when we rented. No problem dropping off at FCO once we found the right parking ramp entrance. Agent looked at car and said everything was okay. WE booked thru AMEX because we used that card and have only been billed the agreed amount (at least so far). So pretty happy with the rental

(Be careful about something. A number of people we were with had rented at FCO and well before they saw the car, they were asked to initial a form that said there were no damages. One woman was bumped up to a very nice car only to haul her stuff out to it and find it had two large scratches on the side panel. Way too tired by then to walk all the way back and discuss it. Not sure how it turned out when she returned it.)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,984 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental horror

Thanks for your report atp2007.

Good advice - Never sign a contract agreeing to damages without seeing and inspecting the car!

Vagabonda

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental horror

We recently rented from Avis in Palermo airport. Avis and Budget share the same desk, apparently it's one and the same company. The only difference I noticed while going through the paperwork was that the Budget clerk asked his customers whether they wanted to buy an (optional) road assistance insurance. With Avis this was included in the price.

Wherever you rent, do check the car thoroughly. Ours was only 3 months old but had some scratches already that were not marked on our contract. Although the clerk said scratches less than 3 cm are not take into consideration, we insisted that he noted them on our contract. Better be safe than sorry ...

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,984 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental horror

Yes amboseli, better be safe than sorry, and in addition to checking the car, read the contract. Once you sign that contract, you have indicated agreement with the terms and conditions.

Vagabonda

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
698 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental horror

Dave,

I rented through Autoeurope (which I have used 3 times before) and got a Hertz car due to my choice of locations. I picked up in Trapani and dropped in Ortigia. Everything went seamlessly, no problems at all. Car was immaculate. I had reserved an economy car (traveling solo) and got a compact (which I pretty much expected would happen).

Great rate, easy locations to find, nice rental agents.

Hope this helps. Enjoy Sicily!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,950 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental horror

>> in addition to checking the car, read the contract<<

If you don't want to spend time reading the contract when you pick up the car, you can go to the rental company's web site and get the standard T&C. I do this before I book a rental car.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,984 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental horror

That's an excellent suggestion - Before signing that contract, know exactly what you're agreeing to with your signature.

Vagabonda