We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to book in advance for car rental?

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need to book in advance for car rental?

We are traveling to Milos early July (high season) and we are wondering if we need to book in advance from the internet for a car. People told us that they give better deals than the internet if you drop by when you arrive. Is this true?

Is it risky not to pre book? Is there a chance that we don't get a car I mean?

thanks

Merseyside
Level Contributor
45 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to book in advance for car rental?

I would pre-book as when we went last year ( august time) out of 10 companies we asked , only one had availability

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to book in advance for car rental?

I will be in Milos in late August and I keep getting conflicting messages about car rental - some say that I should wait to get there and then rent the car because I'll get better price, while others think it's better to pre-book a car and be safe.

and I'm actually thinking about renting a car for part of my trip, and then renting an ATV/quad for the remaining days, as both husband and I enjoy driving around on them when we're on Greek islands. that being said, I was quite surprised with prices compared to other islands we visited; somehow, I'd expected them to be lower.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to book in advance for car rental?

Truth is you do get better prices when you are there but you might not get a car! We just returned from Milos and we tried 2 companies and didn't have any cars available for 6 days (early July is not considered high season exactly, but August is) and the guy from a company in Pollonia (I think it was Milos rent a car) called a friend and found us a car. Very pleased with the company it is called Tourlakis car rental.

Enjoy Milos! It's magical!

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to book in advance for car rental?

thank you 310-Sunray! maybe I'll decide to be adventurous this year and wait to get to the island, keeping my fingers crossed :)

Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
889 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to book in advance for car rental?

In the full season, July-August availability is extremely limited. I've personally watched dozens of people being turned away at car rental agencies because of no availability.

I do not know where this myth comes from, that you'll supposedly get a better deal in person. Some people have propagated this same myth about accommodation, resulting in hundreds (thousands?) of people not booking in advance and ending up wasting half their day of precious vacation time trying to find a room, with most turned away.

Make sure you book in advance. That's all I can say.

Andreas

DE for Milos

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need to book in advance for car rental?

Andreas - considering tour expertise in all matters Milos :), I would appreciate your opinion on the following: do tou think that we'll be ok renting the ATV for the entire duration of our vacation (10 days)?

we love exploring the islands on ATVs, but are wondering if sun/wind will be too much for being on them for more than 3 or 4 days.

thanks in advance!

Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
889 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need to book in advance for car rental?

Not necessarily. You probably would not need to rent a vehicle of any kind for the 1-2 days you will be on a sailboat excursion, assuming you'll be staying close to the Adamas waterfront, or Pollonia, if the boat tour you will be taking departs from there.

If you'll be staying in Milos at the height of the tourist season, availability of a vehicle will be the primary consideration.

For the rest of your stay, keep in mind distances in Milos are relatively short, so you won't be on an ATV for too long. Of course, your exposure to the sun also depends on whether there is shade at your destination, so if your skin is sensitive, plan your trips accordingly.

Regards,

Andreas

DE for Milos

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need to book in advance for car rental?

thank you!

9. Re: Do I need to book in advance for car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 08, 2017