We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Milos too quiet on the 2nd week of April?

minnesota
Level Contributor
229 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Is Milos too quiet on the 2nd week of April?

We ( I and my husband) will be spending a week in Athens and about 4-5 days on one Greek Island. I like Milos because it is quiet and pretty but I am afraid it will be too quiet in the mid of April. I'd also like to take a boat excursion from the island. Would April be too early for that?

If Milos cannot accommodate my wishes, please recommend an island that is not too touristy and has enough activities in April. Thankyou in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Milos too quiet on the 2nd week of April?

hi and welcome..i don't know for milos in particular but easter is around the weekend of 19-20 april,so if you arrange it around these days (before the weekend and during the weekend) you will have the opportunity to participate in the easter celebrations..easter is huge in greece and al the islands get more alive during that period..it will be a great experience..here is a link with info..

in2greece.com/english/…easter.htm

for example corfu is the centre of easter celebrations and is full of life during easter..here is a thread about it..(look from good friday and afterwads)

www.terrakerkyra.gr/pasxa/en/pasxa01.html

i would choose places with permanent population,that will be more lively..for example chania or rethymno in crete..there are a couple of members here that have been in these celebrations and i am sure will jump in

minnesota
Level Contributor
229 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Milos too quiet on the 2nd week of April?

Wow, there are a lot of activities going on before and after Easter in Corfu. One could assume similar activities will occur in Milos as well, but in a smaller scale, correct? I think I will change my itinerary going into Milos on the 17th and leave on the Monday after the Easter Sunday. Do you foresee any problems getting back to Athens on that Monday, in transportation wise? Since most people will be fasting, I hope many tarvernas will be opened for tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
875 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Milos too quiet on the 2nd week of April?

Normally, a lot of restaurants are open during Easter in Milos. In a similar fashion, there should be at least one sailboat available for a daily cruise during that time.

Andreas

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Milos too quiet on the 2nd week of April?

hi,some things that happen in corfu,like the pot smashing olnly happen there..the traditional celebrations (epitafios on good friday and the midnight service on saturday) occur all over greece,including milos of course..

the restaurants and tavernas will of course be open don't worry about it..not many people actually fast nowadays anyway..on sunday people gather in their homes with their families and celebrate,but still i expect some tavernas will offer the traditional food for the tourists..you will not starve for sure.

since easter will be busy book both ferry tickets and accomodation in advice..if you do you will have no problems..have fun planning

Edited: 7:25 am, February 12, 2014
Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
149 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Milos too quiet on the 2nd week of April?

If you want to travel the Monday after Easter you should pre-book your tickets. Its the last day off before people have to go back to work and the ferries will get full (at least the fast ones). So do not leave for last minute.

Milos has very interesting Easter as well with other customes. Every place in Greece has something different in Easter, you will enjoy wherever you will be...

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
minnesota
Level Contributor
229 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Milos too quiet on the 2nd week of April?

Thank you all for the info, it's very helpful indeed!!

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Milos too quiet on the 2nd week of April?

Are you going to a Greek Island to party, shop and for nightlife? There are many things to do on Milos and other Greek Islands out of season. Milos has some beautiful villages such as the colorful and beautiful waterfront village of Klima. In the area is the hilltop town of Tripiti, the ancient Catacombs and ampitheater, a beautiful hilltop church and the site where the Venus de Milo was plowed up. Enough tavernas and shops are open to keep you happy. Then there is the northern sea-side village of Appollonia which will be very quiet in May but you'll have the beach to yourself. One doesn't have to go to a Greek Island during the high season to enjoy yourself . . . in fact many find it better to go when there are less tourists and you can interact with locals to get a more realistic feel of the culture. And to top it off it's cheaper!

Edited: 1:38 pm, March 06, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Klima
Klima
Milos, Greece
Tripiti
Tripiti
Milos, Greece
Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
995 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Milos too quiet on the 2nd week of April?

For a day trip you should take the landing craft ferry from Pollonia in the north of Milos across to Kimolos for the day. It only takes about half an hour and it cost about 2 Euros. There is a nice interesting old town in Kimolos. See gokimolos.gr/en/….UxkMXYWPOKw

You can go across at 1030 and come back at 1500

Mentioned in this post
Pollonia
Pollonia
Milos, Greece
Kimolos
Kimolos
Cyclades, Greece
9. Re: Is Milos too quiet on the 2nd week of April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, March 08, 2015