We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paddling small inflatable boats, aka. packrafts

Trondheim, Norway
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paddling small inflatable boats, aka. packrafts

We are visiting Milos late July and are considering bringing with us our packrafts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packraft) to explore the island from the water-side. These boats are typically more suited for rivers, and are a bit vulnerable to strong winds (not as in easily turning over, but as in drifting with the wind).

Since Milos has a bit of a horseshoe shape, we thought it may still work well within the lagune of the island, or perhaps to just bring the boats to a beach like Sarakiniko and explore the nearby area, at least if the wind is not blowing away from the shore.

Anyone see any flaws with this plan? Is there a lot of motorized boat traffic around the island, making it unpleasant to be a paddler, for example? Are the winds unpredictable? Big waves this time of year?

Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
148 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paddling small inflatable boats, aka. packrafts

Vidar,

You have posted some very good ideas and really have put my imagination to the test, trying to think how this could work.

As you said by yourself these boats are designed for calm water. So in open water conditions might not be so easy to use. I dont know how easily can be drifted away, but there are occasions that we have strong north wind which creates waves and aslo can push things away from the shore. I beleive that if you remain close to the shore you will be OK. I would not recommend to use these in the harbor (the shoe horse area) because its guite a busy port with ferries, sail yachts and speedboats coming in and out.

If you are lucky enough to have a lot of days without Meltemi (thats the name of the north summer wind) then these will help you explore some nice places, especially around Sarakiniko.

Usually this time of year the weather forecasts give you a safe indication of the day's weather, so you will know when its appropriate to use them.

Overall I beleive its a good idea, just dont overestimate your powers and underestimate the power of the open sea.

2. Re: Paddling small inflatable boats, aka. packrafts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 13, 2014