We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kleftiko Hiking Trail

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Kleftiko Hiking Trail

Has anyone done the trail that goes to the hills that overlook Kleftiko Bay? The one that starts 3 kms after Xilokeratia village?

Do you know how long it takes to walk that trail? Is it an easy walk? Is it better to do it in the morning or in the afternoon?

Is it dangerous to find Vipera Lebetina snakes on this trail?

Thanks a lot.

Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
149 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kleftiko Hiking Trail

I have done the trail many times.

You can check the details of the trail in my recorded workout in Sportstracker here, last July.

sports-tracker.com/#/…dtd7q23phm5gibeg

Please note that this is only the descent!

The path is relatively clear and properly marked. You will need proper shoes though. No trainers or sandals becuase a) you have some places (mainly at the last part) which are a bit slippery and b) there are might be some other bugs except the Vipera that can ruin your day with a bite.

There are snakes in this location (like everywhere in West Milos) but its not the most populated one. The general rule for this is not to lift any rocks and dont step into vegatation where you cannot see the ground. The snake will not bite you unless it will be provoked or scared.

Also another genral rule for hiking is never to start hikes in afternoon, because in case of an emergency the night might caught you. So my advice will be to start in the morning. If you sart early enough you will be able to reach Kleftiko before the excursion boats. So you will be probab ly by yourself (unless they are some private boats that have spend the night there). The excursion boats usually arrive after 11:30-12:00.

Hope that I have helped.

Feel free to PM, I can also suggest additional hiking paths in Milos which are very interesting.

Weehawken, NJ
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kleftiko Hiking Trail

We just had a great trip out to Kleftiko today. The instruction on this thread are pretty much correct, with a few minor points that we found helpful:

* First, we found the entrance to the path to be between 4 and 5 km further down the road after Xilokeratia -- or at least the sign on the road for Xilokeratia, so don't worry if you need to go a bit further than 3 km. The road starts to get a little "hairy" after Xilokeratia but keep at it, you won't need to stay on it too long.

* On a review for Kleftiko Antonis M posted a picture of a sign on a wooden post visible from the road. It looks to me like the sign itself is no longer there, however the post is, and as of the time of this posting someone had tied a red banner to it. If you're not sure, get out and look -- the rocks with white painted marks should be visible from this post.

* Antonis M's information is totally accurate -- it took us about 50 min to make the hike each way. It's a bit tough, but not crazy. We didn't have hiking boots but wore sneakers instead. It wasn't ideal but was doable.

* The hike is totally worth it!

Enjoy and good luck!

Brussels
Level Contributor
137 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kleftiko Hiking Trail

Hi, I'm wondering if at the end of the hike one can swim or have to jump off the cliff to do so? :)

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kleftiko Hiking Trail

Dacitek, if you follow the white spots marked on the trail you can get to a rock that is on the same level of the sea. I didnt do the hike from above. I went on the Kleftiko Boat Cruise, then I climbed 100 meters up from the sea. Don´t forget to wear proper shoes. Enjoy!!

Brussels
Level Contributor
137 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kleftiko Hiking Trail

Thanks!

6. Re: Kleftiko Hiking Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 01, 2015