We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port, food and transport

London, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
493 reviews
Save Topic
Port, food and transport

We arrive in Milos (from Sifnos) tomorrow afternoon. First timers to Greece and Sifnos was our first island which we really enjoyed. Here are my questions which I hope you sages can help me with:

- Can we just turn up and find a room when we land? Do you know a place which has wi-fi? We prefer non-hotel sort of places.

- Is it viable to tour around the island with a scooter but stay in one place (the port?).

- We are foodies - is the port a good place to stay for variety of restaurants?

Many thanks.

Shelley

merseyside
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port, food and transport

Hi

We have just returned from Sifnos and Milos and had a lovely time in both.

I can't help you with accomodation in Adamas as we stayed in Pollonia, a very pretty village 20 minutes to the north where there are several good restaurants including an excellent fish restaurant. We hired a car ,but it is certainly possible to hire a scooter and I would advise hiring some form of transport even though there is a bus service, somewhat limited.

We found two internet cafes just 5 minutes walk from the harbour (just down the road from the main bus stop) but they are closed between 1pm and 5pm.

Hope this helps

London, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
493 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port, food and transport

Thanks bellanova. We are in Asamas now and found a pretty little studio to stay in just above the harbour. We hired a scooter and went to the pretty fishing village of Klima yesterday. Today we checked out Pollonia and Plaka.

I expected Milos to be larger than it is. If you take out the sulphur mine area of the east and the nno tarmac road zone of the west, the rest is easily doable on a scooter and nothing is more than 20 minutes away.

We had expected to stay longer in Milos but we are finding it less picturesque and more expensive than Sifnos. We are heading to Naxos tomorrow to see what different views it can offer.

Shelley

…wordpress.com/2011/…

Edited: 5:48 am, September 12, 2011
Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port, food and transport

Hi Shelley,

In September there will be plenty of vacancies. For wi-fi, however, you need to look for a hotel. Not all hotels offer wi-fi, but you can find a list of hotels in Milos on www.miloshotels.gr .

You can tour the most popular parts of the island with a scooter. Milos, however, has several areas of interest that are only accessible by boat or better visited with a 4X4 vehicle, especially on the west and east coasts.

Most restaurants in Milos are located in or around Adamas and Pollonia, but there are excellent restaurants in Plaka, Provatas, Parasporos as well as other parts of the island.

You can't claim to have seen Milos if you don't take a sailboat ride to Kleftiko, at the very least. Milos has a very interesting coastline, and daily boat tours and sailboat excursions are the highlight of a visitor's vacation.

Milos is also proud of its fascinating history. You may visit the ancient marble theater and the catacombs just west of Trypiti, the neolithic settlement of Fylakopi, and any of the 5 museums (Archaeological; Folklore and History; Mining; Ecclesiastical; Maritime).

It's a shame to stay for such a short time in Milos and miss most of what the island has to offer, including its 70+ beaches. You may always come back, however, and we look forward to seeing you in Milos again. :)

Andreas

Edited: 2:42 am, September 13, 2011
Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port, food and transport

Hello again Shelly,

Your recent blog article which was primarily devoted to price comparisons, prompted me to make a few comments regarding vacationing in the Greek islands and my native Milos in particular, which you recently visited, but apparently failed to experience.

We get relatively few but quality visitors from England in Milos, but I see hordes of tourists from the UK in nearby Santorini. They are the primary victims of pre-packaged tourism, content in their knowledge they got a "great deal" in airfare and stay at a cheap hotel, and happy to just sit by the pool… reading paperbacks! No offense, but when they are not sitting by the pool, missing out on sightseeing around the island by reading paperbacks, they seem to be out obsessively comparing prices and reading blogs such as yours. :)

To each his/her own, I guess, but to waste one's Greek island vacation by reading paperbacks is a crime against humanity--their humanity. You can always read a paperback at home, in the dreary winter evenings in rainy UK. But when vacationing in the Greek islands, reading paperbacks should be the last thing on your to do list.

Most visitors to Milos choose the island precisely because it is not included in the packaged tourism deals. We hardly get a couple of cruise ships a month, and hardly ever any "groups". Individuals, couples or families visit Milos for its quiet, spectacular nature. They do not consume their vacation, let alone blog posts with incessant price comparisons. Yes, the price of tea is 60x less in India, but you are 100x less likely to contract a disease while sipping it in the Greek Islands. And yes, most Greek businesses are badly in need of a price consultant, but that's largely beside the point of a Greek island vacation.

When in Milos you may take a sailboat ride, dive in the crystal-clear waters, spend hours snorkeling, explore remote beaches and abandoned mines, enjoy great food and spectacular scenery, watch romantic sunsets, and engage in several outdoor activities such as sea kayaking, scuba diving, horseback riding, trekking, and mountain bicycling. Milos is less picturesque than Sifnos as you noted, as far as the Cycladic architecture is concerned. Only Plaka, Trypiti, Pollonia and a few parts of Adamas compare to the beautiful villages of Sifnos, architecture-wise. Milos, however, boasts 70+ gorgeous beaches and an amazing coastline like no other island in the Aegean, perhaps in all of the Med.

No visitor of Milos should miss the caves of Papafrangas, the lunar landscape of Sarakiniko, the rocky cove of Kleftiko, the Sykia cavern, the abandoned sulphur mines in Paliorema, the abandoned manganese mines of Vani, the colorful beach of Kastanas, the azure waters of Gerakas, the colors of Paliochori, to name just a few places of interest. A month is barely enough to experience Milos.

Personally, I wish for more visitors from the UK. They are generally great people, and would like to help them experience and enjoy Milos to the fullest no matter how long they choose to stay. To watch them waste their precious vacation time reading paperbacks just breaks my heart.

Regards,

Andreas

Trip Advisor Destination Expert for Milos

http://www.facebook.com/milosisforlovers

London, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
493 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port, food and transport

Thanks miloslover for your comments. I still standby my price comparisons as well as the fact that I feel, as do many tourists I have talked to in the past few days that the cost of things is just too high on the islands. I would like to comment on two things in your paragraph in the last post:

"They do not consume their vacation, let alone blog posts with incessant price comparisons. Yes, the price of tea is 60x less in India, but you are 100x less likely to contract a disease while sipping it in the Greek Islands."

- I do not consume my vacation time on blog posts or reading paperbacks. And I can assure you nor do all English tourists.

- In the 2 months in India drinking tea at least 3 times a day (after all it's a local pastime) my partner and I contracted no diseases.

You'd do well to amend your own stereotypes.

Shelley

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,841 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port, food and transport

We visited Milos for a week in June and I can attest to the sights that Andreas is talking about. We found Milos to be quite delightful. Although we were restricted to using the bus system which is scheduled for locals and not for so good for tourists, we managed to get around pretty well and took in many sites.

The sail boat/snorkel tour to Kleftiko was a highlight. We found Milos not too touristy at all and were surprised how small Adamas really is. We spend a most of a day wandering around Plaka and climbed to the Kastro for the 360 degree views. The catacombs tour was interesting but we were thrilled when we got off the beaten path and found an abandoned section of catacombs where we could explore to our hearts content. Staying off the beaten path also allowed us to stumble into the Amphitheatre right at the level the archaeologists were working on. All these things made Milos a highlight for us and we plan to return in two years and rent a car this time so we can get to places that we could not get to.

I have to admit after spending all that energy exploring we always took an hour or so on our hotel deck overlooking the ocean and took a glass of wine read a book and just relaxed.

Anyway we enjoyed Milos and have some pictures.

travel.webshots.com/album/580756000YRPtkd

Edited: 12:05 pm, September 13, 2011
Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port, food and transport

Stanbr,

You are correct about the bus system in Milos. Outside the busy tourist season, schedules are rather sparse. In July and August, however, there are frequent buses to all destinations in Milos where there is asphalt road.

Milos Bus Schedules (July-August)

…dropbox.com/u/…Bus-ScheduleCR1600_2223.jpg

Of course, even then, a visitor can only see a fraction of the sights of Milos by bus. It is advisable to take at least one boat tour, and rent a 4X4 to explore remote locations in order to fully experience Milos.

Andreas

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port, food and transport

Shelly,

We are not in disagreement regarding the price comparisons. I fully agree prices in Greece are rather high and even higher on the islands, especially fish, which is particularly surprising in a country that is surrounded by seawater.

The main issue I raised was that I felt you placed way too much emphasis on price comparisons and apparently failed to enjoy your Milos vacation. In addition, my comments regarding the habits of UK tourists were real life observations, not stereotypes. Of course not all English tourists waste their vacation time reading paperbacks but I've seen way too many of them in Santorini do exactly what I described earlier. :)

I am glad you did not contract any diseases while in India, but the point I was trying to make is that there really is no comparison between the two vacation destinations. It would be as pointless as saying that Yorkshire is better because that's the only place where there is a football club named Leeds United (which is my favorite team, btw.) :)

Andreas

Edited: 3:57 am, September 14, 2011
London, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
493 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port, food and transport

stanbr - thanks - agree the amphitheatre at Milos is stunning.

Andreas: I don't want to labour the point but I wasn't making an unfair comparison when comparing the price of tea - pretty much a commodity item.

10. Re: Port, food and transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 20, 2012