We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days on Milos island - trips, recommandation...

Prague
10 posts
Save Topic
5 days on Milos island - trips, recommandation...

We are going to spend 5 days on Folegandros island and then 5 days on Milos island in first half of July. I know, Milos is much bigger, but our plan has to conform to boat timetable.

My plan is: (accomodation in Adamas)

1. Plaka, Trypiti, archeological sites, catacombs, Klima

2. sailboat to Kleftiko

3. one-day trip to Kimolos

4. with motorbike Sarakiniko, Pollonia...

5. with motorbike south of the island

What do you think about this plan? Anything to skip or to add?

Any tip for budget accomodation in Adamas?

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days on Milos island - trips, recommandation...

We spent a few days on Milos about 3 years ago.

Re number 1, we caught the bus from Adamas to Plaka and walked around the places you mention and then walked back to town. It was a great day, lovely views. As good a day as I`ve had!

Re number 2, as you are most likely aware there are a number of boats which do a trip of the island and also call in at Kimolos, again lovely trip.

Can`t comment really on your other suggestions, but no doubt others can.

There are some smart bars in Adamas!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,764 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days on Milos island - trips, recommandation...

Hi,

1. Can be done easily using the island buses up to Plaka Trypiti, and then walking down to the Archeological sites, maybe taking the path down from the Catacombs to Klima for lunch and then either walking back or taking the bus again from one of those villages back to Adamas.

2. Don't waste your time on that one, take the round island boat gives you a good all round view of the coast of Milos and normally stops at Kleftiko and a brief stop on Kimolos. Do it early on if you can.

3. Can also be done by island bus to Polonia and then the scheduled landing craft ferry. See www.gtp.gr

4. Can be done by walking or by bus+walking using the Adamas <> Polonia or Plaka/Trypiti buses.

5. Yes, motorbike/car for this one as buses are few or non-existant, and hopefully you will have done the round island boat trip first to make good use of the transport.

Edited: 11:57 am, April 03, 2011
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days on Milos island - trips, recommandation...

Bedru, we're doing some of the same stuff in late May...

• we're weighing the various boat trips... depends on the heat. Dianabiz says the Larger boat gives more shade, but we're going earlier (late may) so don't worry so much. Hippie, I've looked at various boats & the round-the-island vessel looks very large takes 100 people strikes me more like one of those "party boats"... and also someone wrote that the round-island trip you see more but it made for a verrry long day. Thus, it's whatever is one's preference.

• we're renting a car for first day, because 5 of us arrive airport at noon, would require 2 taxis to our Pollonia lodgings, €40 right there! so 1-day rental actually saves.

• a budget place in Adamas I found on my first visit -- Semiramis ... very near the port but on a "byway" so it's quiet ... a/c & pvt bath (miniscule), €25 single in early June -- check room before accepting, some are "musty" others fine. Vine-covered patio, cheap breakfast €3 incld egg. Shared upper terrace.

Prague
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days on Milos island - trips, recommandation...

Thank you for your opinions. Point 1 is ready I think.

2 + 3/ Trip around island or only to Kleftiko - I don´t know exact names of boats, I´ve read only about Mama Maria boat, but I can´t find more informations on internet.

I have a wish to find the mushroom stone on Kimolos, that´s why I don´t prefer boat trip around island with stop on Kimolos, there will be not enough time.

4+5/ can be done by car or bus, no problem.

There is one more possibility - spend all 10 days on Milos without Folegandros.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days on Milos island - trips, recommandation...

Bedru -- YOu say you can't find stuff on the "internet" but did you try looking on the TA Milos Forum/???? There are tons of recommends--- I "cut & paste" items into a Word document if I think I might need for a visit in future and it pays off!

Here is a report on the Captain Andreas Boat I picked up --- here's the link: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g494953-i9770-k376…

Here's a trip report I picked up... don't have the name

“ Trip Report- Milos ”

Oct 18, 2010, 9:45 PM

Five days on Milos and you could spend many more. The beaches were exceptional with my favorites being: Firiplaka, Sarakiniko, Provatas, and Pollonia. I recommend spending half a day in Pollonia and eating at one of the fine restaurants in the little harbor. We ate at Gialos and it was wonderful.

Staying in Adamas was very convenient and there are plenty of amenities. I really enjoyed the music, view, and atmosphere at Café Mitro. (the far end of the harbor on the upper street) Spent one evening in Plaka for a wonderful sunset and meal. Many great restaurants to choose from and a great atmosphere. The Utopia café was highly recommended but was way too crowded to get a spot for the sunset when I went there. There are plenty of other more quiet places to enjoy the sunset if you are looking for something more private.

I highly recommend doing a day boat trip to Kleftiko. There are several outfits that offer the trip for around 30 euro. I went with Andromeda and LOVED the trip. It is a slightly smaller boat holding around 30 people which was perfect for me. The trip takes you along the coast to see Klima and then along the West shore and for a wonderful swim at Sykia. This cove is out of this world! Next you go to Kleftiko which was one of most amazing visual experiences of my entire Greece vacation. The trip finishes with a meal in Empourio which has a great restaurant right on the water. Very romantic!

Some other good beaches and places to check out are: Firopotamos, Mandrakia, Paleohori, and Tsrigrado. You could easily spend weeks and weeks on Milos!

------------------

AND if you go to Milos Forum and in the search slot put in "Boat-beach tours" up will pop 3 or 4 threads on this specific topic!! naming specific boats & what they do. Point is, around dinner time all the boats are lined up in the harbor & you just go along and talk to them and see how big they are where they go what they charge.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g494953-i9770-k356…

Prague
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days on Milos island - trips, recommandation...

Finally, we decided to spend on Milos island 10 days, but we would like to visit Kimolos island for one day. Is it possible to taky a rented car or motorbike to Kimolos island (problem with insurance?)? What is the best program on Kimolos for 1 day? - We want to go to Skiadhi mushroom stone and walk around Chorio. Good idea?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days on Milos island - trips, recommandation...

It's impossible to rent a car/bike on Kimolos. However, you can rent it on Milos and take it with using the ferry to Kimolos. I don't think that a car/bike is really necessary.

Chorio is wonderful. Walking around the village is definitely a good idea.

You can see the mushroom shaped stone on your way to the beaches in the western part of the island. For thorough instructions see:

http://www.cycladen.be/KimolosEng.htm

Edited: 2:32 am, April 11, 2011
Prague
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days on Milos island - trips, recommandation...

We want to catch Panagia Faferomeni from Pollonia in the morning, then on foot from Psathi over Chorio to Skiadhi, then back on foot to Chorio and walk in Chorio. I think we will not have time for any beach.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,702 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days on Milos island - trips, recommandation...

I would absolutely recommend the round island boat trip. I dont remember which boat we had, but it was the only one at the time we visited (mid september). You just walk along the seaside in the evening, and look at the boats going next day. Weather conditions may cause canselation. We had some great stops for swimming on places you cant reach from land. We had a stop on Kimolos for lunch (the taverna have very limited capasity). After that the most astonishing part of the trip came: The rock formations on the northern side of Milos. Stalactites are virtually "growing up from the sea" making som incredible formations. If you are a little bit interested in geology you will find it astonishing. It is a long day, but I wouldn't have missed it.

10. Re: 5 days on Milos island - trips, recommandation...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, October 24, 2012