We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Milos

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Milos

I've been to Milos without a car and have seen the "major sights"; in early April we will be going for 3-4 days WITH a car and were hoping to explore more than I've been able to in the past, but am starting to get the idea that this might be harder than I had thought.... so, what is there to see with a car? My car is NOT a 4x4 off-road capable car, it is a cute little Mazda that likes asphalt or well-tended gravel. If there is no advantage to having a car, we can leave it here and save the money for putting it on the ferry - so I do need to decide!

Since learning that driving on Milos is maybe not as exciting as I had thought it would be, we are considering a day-trip to Kimolos. Better?

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving in Milos

Yes, Jan, you can make arrangements to pick up your rental car at the airport, and also, to drop it off there on departure.

:)

Andreas

I am milosisforlovers on Facebook

boston
Level Contributor
89 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving in Milos

Hello Andreas and others!

We will be on Milos at the end of July and are traveling with another family, which makes 7 of us total. Are there 4X4s that could accomodate all 7 of us

(4 adults, 3 kids)? Could you please recommend any car rental companies?

Thank you very much!

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving in Milos

There are a couple of rental car agencies that have 8 or 9 seaters available, but these can best be described as mini-vans, not 4X4s. I'm afraid you may have to rent two 4X4s. The most common 4X4 rental vehicle in Milos is a Suzuki Jimny that barely holds 4 persons.

I normally recommend Niko's Cars but they do not offer 4X4s. There is, however, a number of reliable car rental agencies that may offer these types of vehicles. Off the top of my head, I can think of Milos Cars, Sea Sun Sophia, and Athena Travel.

Andreas

boston
Level Contributor
89 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving in Milos

Thank you, Andreas. It sounds like from other posts that you really need a 4x4 to fully explore the island, would you agree?

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving in Milos

Absolutely!

Some of the most beautiful, secluded beaches on Milos, are accessible through rough, dirt roads. It is very hard to negotiate these roads with a motorcycle (other than the "enduro" types) and a passenger car will fare no better.

In fact, most car rental agencies will provide you with a map outlining the areas of Milos you are NOT supposed to drive the rental vehicle, or you will be in violation of your contract. These areas are the entire western part of the island, as well as most of the east coast of Milos. Quads are slow (and dangerous according to some) so that leaves only the 4X4 SUVs.

To reach areas of Milos where a 4X4 SUV is practically required are the beaches of the western part of the island (west of Agia Marina) namely Megali Ammos, Rivari, Fatourena and Embourios, Agios Ioannis (3 beaches), Ammoudaraki (2 beaches), Triades (3 beaches), Agathia and Cape Vani, as well as most of the east coast beaches such as Kastanas, Tria Pigadia, Kolymbisionas, Rema and Theiorycheia (Sulphur Mines).

It will help to drive an off-road optimized vehicle to the south coast beaches of Agia Kyriaki, Trigrado, Fyriplaka, Psathadika, Gerontas and Katergo (Xylokeratia) as part of the roads leading to the above beaches are non-paved as well.

Andreas

boston
Level Contributor
89 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving in Milos

Thank you very much for your very informative reply!

Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving in Milos

Thank you for all your information. I am planning to be in Milos from

May 31-June 15. We would like to have the flexibility to see as much as we can by car, sea and foot. We have received a quote for a small car but I am concerned about off road restrictions. During the first 2 weeks of June, are there likely to be 4x4's available at the last moment ?

I like the idea if renting one only on days we need one and using the saved money for boat trips .

18. Re: Driving in Milos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, June 21, 2013