We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens, Milos, Sifnos will it work?

Cardiff
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Athens, Milos, Sifnos will it work?

Hi everybody,

We have booked our Easyjet flights to Athens for 12 days in July and are thinking this itinary might work.

2 nights in a B&B near to Athens airport

Day 3- flight to Milos for 5 nights

Ferry to Sifnos for 4 nights

Back to Milos for 1 night then fly back to Athens to catch our 9pm plane home.

Do you all think this is doable?

Thanks in advance

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens, Milos, Sifnos will it work?

Hey and welcome PennyCardiff:-) Well, there are a number of variables here to consider..firstly, any reason why you'd want to spend a couple of nights out by the airport?! Public transport is a piece of cake..consider heading into Athens for a couple of nights then ferrying over to Sifnos from Piraeus (an approx 20 min metro ride)..over to Milos from where you can fly back..so no backtracking to Milos! You can also consider flying straight out to Milos upon arrival in Athens if the schedules work..and work you way back to Athens via Sifnos and spend 3 nights prior to heading home! Bottom line, consecutive nights work well..huge timesavers..and saves you the hassles involved in any backtracking and overnights;-) Keep us posted..and ENjoY!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,764 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens, Milos, Sifnos will it work?

Hi,

You have made it look complicated by flying to/from Milos which is totally unnecesary.

Piraeus <> Kithnos <> Serifos <> Sifnos <> Milos is a standard daily ferry route, around 1-3 ferries per day by July.

Thus simply all you need to do is get the first available ferry(or flight) straight to Milos, then simply go Milos > Sifnos > Piraeus by ferry.

I suspect you will need a night in Athens/Piraeus at the start and end but that depends on your flight arrival/departure times.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens, Milos, Sifnos will it work?

You would have eliminated a lot of guesswork for your Forum Helpers, by simply telling us What time of Day and What Day you will arrive ... is it a secret? IT might explain why you would go to a B & B by the airport, if you tell us are arriving after 6 pm for example .... but I cannot see any other reason for staying near the airport, and certainly not for more than 1 night.

I can see why you might want to fly initially (50 mins vs 5 hours), IF you have that late arrival, have a snooze then fly at 7 or 8 am next morning to Milos. Then after your time there, just ferry to Sifnos 1 hour, then do a fast-ferry back to Athens that would arrive by 5 pm say, catch the piraeus #96 bus to Airport in time for your 7 pm check-in. don't over-complicate things as hippy says.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,556 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens, Milos, Sifnos will it work?

You will have booked the Gatwick - Athens flight that arrives at 20:25 (21:15 on Sat). With these late evening arrivals you need to spend a night in Athens before proceeding to the islands, one reason I no longer use easyJet.

There is no point staying near the airport if you plan to spend the first two nights in Athens, but for one night it would make sense. The earliest flight to Milos departs at 09:40 (2010 timetable), so you won't have to get up too early to make check-in an hour before departure, even from central Athens. The metro takes 45 minutes to the airport.

If you plan flying to Milos on Fri or Sun, there is no morning flight, and you would actually get there earlier by ferry. Also be aware that the flights to Milos are on small Dash 8-100 turboprops. These 30~ pax aircraft are more susceptible to weather cancellation than the jets that fly to larger airports.

What I would do is proceed to Milos the day after arrival in Athens, either by flight or ferry. No need to return to Milos from Sifnos — you can take a ferry direct to Piraeus. Then spend your last night in Athens, giving you all day for sightseeing before the 21:00 flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens, Milos, Sifnos will it work?

>>The earliest flight to Milos departs at 09:40 (2010 timetable), so you won't have to get up too early to make check-in an hour before departure, even from central Athens.<<

Check in for domestic flights is 35 mins, not 1 hour. Just thought I'd point it out, as it gives the OP even more flexibility.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,556 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens, Milos, Sifnos will it work?

Even better! Thanks, Tinsey. :o)

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,556 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens, Milos, Sifnos will it work?

I just checked the Olympic website, and check-in ENDS 35 minutes before the flight, and after that you are no longer allowed to board. If you have access to the internet and a printer, you can check in online and print out a boarding pass. Then when you reach the airport all you have to do is leave your luggage at the Olympic drop-off check-in counter and proceed to the departure gate. You still need to be there before the flight closes, though.

www.olympicair.com/Default.aspx?a_id=647

See also 'On-line check-in' in the menu at the left of the page in my link.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens, Milos, Sifnos will it work?

Thanks so much for your really useful replies. (We island hopped 2 years ago Santorini, Paros, Naxos and Mykonos and you were all invaluable on that occasion).

We would rather not have our last couple of nights in Athens as we prefer to return home chilled from the islands if possible. I didn't realise how easy it seems to be to get from the airport to central Athens and also to get from Piraeus back to the airport for our flight home.

So now I think -- arrive in Athens at 20.25- go to cental Athens for 2 nights.

Fly to Milos, then ferry to Sifnos .

From Sifnos to Piraus, #96 bus to airport and catch 9.00pm plane home.

Does this sound better?

Ps- have any of you any tips or recommendations for our three destinations?

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you

Penny

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens, Milos, Sifnos will it work?

Hey again..and our pleasure:-) Certainly sounds good to me! Bottom line, it's what works for you;-) As far as reccs..if you provide a budget spread, am sure you'll get some great suggestions..keep enjoyin'!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,556 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens, Milos, Sifnos will it work?

Hi Penny,

You wrote, "We would rather not have our last couple of nights in Athens as we prefer to return home chilled from the islands if possible." I understand what you mean, as that's what I like to do myself. Standard advice is to return to the mainland a day or two before your flight home, and going against it entails some risk. You'll need to keep a close eye on the weather and be prepared to leave a day early if strong winds are forecast.