We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries between Mykonos-Naxos-Santorini-Milos-Mykonos

Scotland
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries between Mykonos-Naxos-Santorini-Milos-Mykonos

Hi everyone

I really need some help!

My husband and I have booked flights to Mykonos at the tail end of May, and would like to visit Naxos, Santorini (to take in a family wedding), and Milos, in that order over three weeks if possible. We'd need to get back to Mykonos to catch our flight back to London.

I'm trying my best to track down ferry timetables but it's proving a hard task.

I think there are daily ferries from Mykonos to Naxos, but I'm really not sure about the Naxos-Santorini, Santorini-Milos and Milos-Mykonos connections - and if they are even possible?!

I really need to get my accommodation booked soon but this is holding me up. Can anyone help?!

Cheers

Laura

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries between Mykonos-Naxos-Santorini-Milos-Mykonos

Ferry schedules are mostly not posted until about a month in advance. Until the schedules are posted, there is no way to know for sure exactly what ferry will be traveling where on what date.

Having said that, though, you can find information on when the ferries have run in the past, and the "usual" routes.

Blue Star Ferries is one company that has a schedule posted online far ahead of time, but even then, things can change.

I can tell you that in May, there should be daily (or almost daily) ferries between Naxos-Santorini (becaues I'm planning that trip myself and researched that connection). I can't help you with the Milos connections, sorry.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,965 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries between Mykonos-Naxos-Santorini-Milos-Mykonos

I would not get fixated on that particular order as it may make ferry connections more difficult, You can go to your chosen islands that's for sure as you have 3 weeks. Being flexible is the key.

Mykonos > Naxos, daily.

Naxos > Santorini, 2x daily.

Santorini > Milos, 3x week (flexibility required,1-2 days).

Milos > Mykonos, no direct ferry, you will have to go via Syros or Paros or Naxos to get back to Mykonos (in addition flexibility of 1-2 days), or backtrack via Ios or Santorini, or fly via Athens.

You don't have to book any accommodation, apart maybe for your fixture in Santorini.

Scotland
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries between Mykonos-Naxos-Santorini-Milos-Mykonos

Thanks Retired Happy (cool name by the way).

We've thought about it and have now decided to keep the Mykonos (1 night) - Naxos (8 nights) - Santorini (2 nights) part of the trip, as ferries won't be a problem, but find another island to visit after Santorini for the rest of the holiday, rather than Milos, purely because of the ferry situation between Santorini, Milos and Mykonos.

We really only want to stay on Santorini for a max of 2 nights, as we've been before and are only going back for a family wedding (so those dates are fixed). We don't want to have to stay longer there just to get to Milos on a certain day. Also we'd prefer a direct ferry back to Mykonos from the last island we visit on the trip.

What we need to find now is a lovely island to visit after Santorini that is easy to get to from there and has a regular direct ferry link back to Mykonos, so we don't miss our flight home. Any suggestions?

We've been to Paros and really loved Naoussa, but would rather try out another nearby island for a new experience.

Thanks for any advice offered - I really appreciate it.

Laura

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,630 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries between Mykonos-Naxos-Santorini-Milos-Mykonos

I was about to answer the OP when I saw your latest post. You are probably wise to drop Milos, as it would make your itinerary more complex. It would be possible to include it, though, if you can be flexible about the Santorini > Milos leg. Once in Milos, there will be daily ferries to Piraeus, and from there you could go to Athens Airport for a flight back to Mykonos.

Still, life would be much easier if you stuck to the Central Cyclades for your other island. Naxos is already in your plans, and you have been to Paros. What about Antiparos? You may have been there on a day trip from Paros, but it is a wonderful island to spend a few nights, with a pedestrian-only main street lined with cafes and tavernas. There are several nice beaches within walking distance of the main village, and companies offering round-island boat trips, kayaking, and scuba diving.

Another possibility would be Koufonissia, one of the Little Cyclades islands near Naxos, or even Amorgos, a little further down the same ferry route. You would have to take Express Skopelitis there and back from Naxos. It would be best to do Koufonissia or Amorgos before your stay on Naxos.

Scotland
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries between Mykonos-Naxos-Santorini-Milos-Mykonos

Thanks very much for these suggestions. We're seriously looking at Antiparos now. Also Syros - although I'm more keen on Antiparos as it looks more peaceful! Just need to convince my other half that is where we should go for the last week of our hol. Life is hectic back home and I can't wait to find a quiet beach to chill out on.

Cheers

Laura

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries between Mykonos-Naxos-Santorini-Milos-Mykonos

Antiparos and Syros are great decisions in terms of logistics and simplicity of connections. Great change, i think :)

Antiparos is more quiet but, after all we are speaking about late May and not mid Augist which is the peak of the season. Antiparos will be more "beach oriented" while Syros has among all a very very attractive town and a unique in Greece combination of both Catholic and Orthodox Christian churches.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,630 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferries between Mykonos-Naxos-Santorini-Milos-Mykonos

I have been going to Antiparos once or twice a year for the last 12 years or so. As Nick said, it is beach oriented, but the evenings are even better. Everyone strolls up and down the pedestrian-only street between harbour and kastro, looking in shops, checking out restaurant menus, and eventually settling down for a drink and dinner. The end of May is still quiet, so Antiparos is a great place to relax. There are many people, myself included, who return year after year in May and June.

Two websites with good info on Antiparos are:

http://www.antiparos-isl.com/2006/index.html

http://www.islandstrolling.com/

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferries between Mykonos-Naxos-Santorini-Milos-Mykonos

Yes, Antiparos is very attractive too , and i really understand the feeling you picture :)

Aahh. . .i cannot wait till summer arrives. . .God!

Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
889 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferries between Mykonos-Naxos-Santorini-Milos-Mykonos

The timetables are probably not posted online anywhere, but there are 2 year-round routes you'd be interested in:

1) The LANE ferries (Ierapetra or Vitsentzos Kornaros) between Piraeus, Milos Santorini and Crete, twice a week, and back. Milos to Santorini or the other way around takes about 4 hours.

2) The NEL Lines route (Panagia Hozoviotissa) that connects Milos to Paros 4 times a week (and Naxos once a week) as well as several other islands. Milos to Paros or the other way around takes about 7 hours.

So, depending on your schedule, you may be able to take a ferry from Milos to Santorini and from there to Mykonos, or from Milos to Paros/Naxos and from there to Mykonos.

Andreas

Shanghai
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferries between Mykonos-Naxos-Santorini-Milos-Mykonos

Can anyone advise what company operates the ferry between Mykonos & Santorini ? Is it direct of via other island, and will it be daily in July? Thanks