We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pollonia too windy?

seattle
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pollonia too windy?

We will be in Milos around May 20th or so and I don't know which town to stay in. I just want somewhere close to the beach with some little restaurants and taverns nearby. cute, quiet, but fun. I hear good things about Pollonia, but I am worried it will be uncomfortably windy.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pollonia too windy?

It shouldn't be. The Meltemi doesn't really get going until July. Pollonia is a great place to stay and has exactly what you want although not everything will be open so early in the season.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,579 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pollonia too windy?

Yes it is windy there, even in May you still get the meltemi wind, but Polonia itself is in a fairly sheltered bay so not really a problem. That early in the season it will be very quiet.

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pollonia too windy?

Everyone seems to be having the same reservation about Pollonia. It must be one of those fallacies propagated by old, printed travel guides, published by some "expert" who happened to stay 1.5 hours in Pollonia during his/her 4-hour stay in Milos 20 years ago.

The infamous meltemi wind (which is actually quite nice at times, mind you) usually starts in late August/early September. It is true the wind might get uncomfortably strong at times, but it is not a reason to discourage visitors from visiting Pollonia.

Now, trying to predict the weather is a risky proposition. Last year, for example, we experienced something incredibly rare in the Cyclades: Ten straight days of strong winds in... July, and hardly any meltemi winds at all for the remainder of the year!

This year is shaping to be a hot, dry summer season. As I am writing this, the temp is in the low 20s C. It was almost 30 C during the day. :)

- Andreas

seattle
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pollonia too windy?

Thanks so much to you all! I think we will "brave" the winds and stay in Pollonia.

One more Pollonia question:

If I wantto find a private room in Pollonia upon my arrival, will anyone from Pollonia meet the ferries in Adamas? Or should I make my way to Pollonia and then look around?

Thanks again!

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
Level Contributor
873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pollonia too windy?

No one from Pollonia would normally wait up at the pier when the ferries arrive. In May, no one from *any* village is likely to be there. And in the unlikely event there are any people at all, you'd have the privilege to choose among the worst possible lodging offerings in Milos. The people scavaging for tourists at the port usually have no licence to operate a rooms-for-rent establishment.

I strongly recommend you read up on my 2 "Warnings & Dangers" tips on VT: "Traveling without a confirmed reservation - Part I and Part II".

- Andreas

seattle
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Pollonia too windy?

Okay, thanks a bunch. Maybe I can nail down our dates and make a reservation ahead of time.

7. Re: Pollonia too windy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 31, 2009