We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Choosing Islands

NSW
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Help Choosing Islands

My partner and I will have a total of 15 nights in Greece in August 2018. We are trying to decide which islands to visit.

We are hoping to get a flight from Split, Croatia to Santorini to maximise our time on the islands.

The following are islands we are interested in visiting.

Is anyone able to recommend one island over another?

We are looking for beautiful beaches and sunsets, architecture such as moon rocks on Milos, great food, vibrant night life and culture. So far, the islands we have picked are:

- Santorini (beautiful sunset and towns, 'must see bucket list' island)

- Ios (been recommended by many friends it is a must do to experience the night life)

- Paros (very interested in doing a dive to see the submerged ancient civilisations and wreckage)

- Mykonos (again heavily recommended for the party night life to do just once)

- Milos (the beaches are stunning and would love to see the moon rocks and caves).

Also, which is the best order to do the islands in? I have done some research and it seems Milos is most hardest to get to. We were thinking of doing Split --> Santorini --> Ios --> Paros --> Milos --> Mykonos and then flying from Mykonos to Malta for 5 nights. Would this itinerary work logistically?

Any suggestions or advice is always welcome!

15 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,605 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Choosing Islands

hello,only you can decide which islands suit you..you already seem to have done a bit of research so you know what to expect from each one....santorini and mykonos are the most expensive ones by far..since you already have santorini included,i would advise to stick to 3 islands max for these 15 days..most people do the mistake of adding too many islandfs and it ends up being a race rather than a holiday.

as for the order,you can check this year's ferrys chedules here

http://www.openseas.gr/openseas/en/

and plan accordingly.

NSW
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Choosing Islands

Thanks for that - will check out the ferry schedules!

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Choosing Islands

You've picked some of the most popular and heavily touristed of the Greek Islands, especially during High Season.

If you are looking for nightlife, laying around on a beach, partying, a "buzz" and lots of wild times then those islands will be for you.

However, if you want more tradition, a Greek Experience and more local atmosphere then there are a number of other Cyclades Islands that may be far better.

Santorini & Mykonos are probably the #1 and #2 of the Heavily Touristed Greek Island. Drop one of them, probably Mykonos. Ios can be even more party-oriented than the other islands and if that's what you like you'll have a great time.

Every one has their own idea of what they want from a Greek Island. You appear to be young and full of life and if that's what you want for a Greek Holiday, you'll have a great time.

NSW
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Choosing Islands

Crazyh - thanks for your reply! We are definitely looking for a combination of fun and vibrant night life as well as adventures and sightseeing; but will not be looking to be out every night partying until the early hours of the morning - with the exception of maybe one night in each place. We will be with another couple also aged 24-27 and will be going out and exploring, diving etc with them.

Mykonos, Ios and Santorini are the 'must do' islands between the 2 couples. Ideally, we would love to be able to do both Paros (+ day trip to Antiparos) and Milos but if we can't do both of those we will be cutting one out. That is where we are struggling - leaning more towards cutting Paros and doing Milos but as we have never been to the Greek Islands it is a difficult choice. I have done lots of research but they all look stunning and have something to offer so our decision is not an easy once (hence why we would love to not cut any out).

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,485 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Choosing Islands

I too would recommend sticking to three islands, especially for August when everything is crowded. If Mykonos, Ios, and Santorini are your 'must do' islands then that's a given. If you must add a fourth, Paros would be easier to reach than Milos from those three.

Incidentally, your beaches in NSW and Queensland, where I have been twice, are much better than anything you can find anywhere in Europe. I hope culture and history will be high on your priorities for your visit to Greece.

United States
Level Contributor
9,987 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Choosing Islands

in August I would do Mykonos , Santorini and just one other probably Milos . Milos will provide a balance of less active but still enough to do...I would never try three major islands in August. You will appreciate staying in Milos with less "buzz" and some beautiful scenery.

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Choosing Islands

I must be getting old. When I go to Greece I want peace, tradition, culture and a more laid back atmosphere. Going off-season provides that . . . but I remember my younger days . . . however I never went to Greece during my younger days . . . that doesn't mean I don't like to party . . . but I prefer to do it with locals (Greeks) than with tourists). That's just me, however.

Whatever you do and whatever reason you go to Greece . . . enjoy yourself . . . spend some Euros to help the Greek Economy and don't overlook what Greece is all about . . . ancient history, Democracy, culture, education and don't forget the Ouzo!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,883 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Choosing Islands

Hi,

Great food, culture, not much chance of that, thank goodness.

The main features of August is crowds and high prices for accommodation, and the meltemi.

I would not change what you have selected. A direct flight to Santorini or Mykonos would obviously be ideal.

Something like Santorini > Ios > Naxos > Paros > Mykonos, would suit. Very easy no need for any ferry complications, I would scrap Milos it adds nothing to the mix.

You just can't do even the Cyclades (20 islands) in 2 weeks, never mind other island groups.

It is essentially a sample few, thus it does not matter what you select really. For nightlife the central Cyclades suit.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,485 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Choosing Islands

Crazyh, if you want to party with Greeks you should go in August, when they head to the islands for their Assumption Day holidays. It won't be peaceful, but Aug 15th is one of the most traditional and important Greek Orthodox holidays of the year. You are missing a lot by always going in October. I am probably older than you, but enjoy being around people.

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Choosing Islands

No thanks . . . I'll wait for off-season . . . October or other times. One can still have a wonderful party atmosphere without the tourists getting in the way.

But that's me . . . I go to Greece for my reasons . . . and others go to Greece for their reasons.

Whatever time you go I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

By the way . . . Paros is still on my to-go-to list . . . and I'm already planning for 2018!

Oopa!

Reply to: Help Choosing Islands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted