We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milos - Sifnos in 10 days

Espoo Finland
Level Contributor
156 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Milos - Sifnos in 10 days

I'm planning for 10 day trip summer-18 to these 2 islands. Initial plan looks like arriving mid-July at Athens =>boat to Sifnos (4 nights) => boat to Milos (6 nights) => flight to Athens. Our timing is pretty fixed.

Planning on staying on the islands (due to limited time). Our "team" consists of 2 adults (40+), 2 teenage girls (13-16), likely also grandparents 75 y. Nobody plans for partying....

We want to explore and enjoy couple of less touristy islands:

*Milos for scenery, beaches, boat trips around the island (may be day trip Kimolos), a bit of town life (Adamas), hill villages (Plaka etc), touring by car...

*Sifnos due to being between Pireus-Milos, but also nice scenery / some walks / hill top villages (Apollonia-Kastro etc)/nice dinners, a bit of beach and enjoying by the pool with a view in some boutique hotel.

Originally considered Santorini (changed to Milos - less touristy, no mid-summer chaos), Paros/Naxos (changed to Sifnos, same thing less touristy but also better connectivity with Milos, not wanting to waste hours in boat transfer + daily connections = flexibility)

I think we have narrowed down to right islands for our group.

=>What are your fellow TA's opinions on split of time between the two? I'm geared towards allocating more time to Milos due to being bigger island and for allowing flexibility for boat trips (weather conditions). But I have came across some opinions saying Sifnos might deserve more? Not a big deal but I am mainly considering if my plan is too tight for enjoying Sifnos? Which of these two islands deserve more...?

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Kimolos
Kimolos
Cyclades, Greece
Adamas
Adamas
Milos, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
3 replies to this topic
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milos - Sifnos in 10 days

I would spend more time on Sifnos than Milos since it has more villages, beaches and things to do. Not that Milos is limited. On our first trip to Greece we did Sifnos/Milos and found Sifnos to be a truly lovely island, especially off-season. We stayed in Kamares and found it worked for us since it's the main port with shops, markets and tavernas. However, offseason found much of the island shut down so you'll have a lot more to do during the summer. Then again, there'll be more tourists which could dilute your time there (like anywhere else in Greece during Tourist Season). Still it's a lovely island, nice interior villages connect via narrow lanes, the beautiful village of Kastro, high on a hill overlooking the Aegean, Herinosis on the far north of the island with it's small village, bay and other-worldly landscape.

We were based in Adamas on Milos and found it perfect for off-season but High Season you'll have more options where to stay. Some of the most beautiful beaches with unique geological features all over the island. The Tripiti/Klima area is beautiful with the lovely hilltop village of Tripoti, a narrow lane downhill to the Ancient Catacombs, beautiful small church, ancient ampitheater, the site where the Venus di Milo was found and path leading to the spectacularly colorful fishing village of Klima.

You'll have to decide how many days to devote to each island which will offer you a nice Greek experience but I feel Sifnos has more to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Kastro
Kastro
482 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Aegean
Aegean
711 Reviews
Olympia, Greece
Adamas
Adamas
Milos, Greece
Tripiti
Tripiti
Milos, Greece
Espoo Finland
Level Contributor
156 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milos - Sifnos in 10 days

Thanks a lot for your opinion and experience! It sounds not a bad idea to take more time on Sifnos.

I am prepared for more fellow travellers in July, I assume that it is still far less in Sifnos/Milos than on the more famous tourist islands, although some comments/articles say also Sifnos gets its share of (especially Greek) travellers in high season.

We are thinking on staying in Apollonia/Artemonis area in Sifnos - just to get a different experience being based on the hills / close to activity, and then make trips down to beaches. In Milos we will likely base ourselves to Adamas, being centrally located and convinient for dinners and evening activity. Pollonia sounds nice / seem to have few good hotels/suite accommondations, but I am afraid it might be rather small village to stay at.

Mentioned in this post
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Adamas
Adamas
Milos, Greece
Pollonia
Pollonia
Milos, Greece
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milos - Sifnos in 10 days

Greek tourists tend to be more informative and know what they are looking for rather than non-Greek tourists, so even if Sifnos has more Greek tourists it may be more enjoyable than tourists from other parts of the world, but that's a matter of opinion.

Pollonia is a very beautiful area of the island with spectacular geological formations and when you'll be there will have everything open. Nice sandy beach, shops, markets and tavernas but Adamas will offer more options and we found it to be perfect for October but I'm sure other areas of Milos will have more going on during the Tourist Season so where ever you stay should be OK.

Just depends on what you want while you are there.

Mentioned in this post
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Pollonia
Pollonia
Milos, Greece
Adamas
Adamas
Milos, Greece
Milos
Milos