We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or Bus Changsha to Zhangjiajie

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
276 reviews
Save Topic
Train or Bus Changsha to Zhangjiajie

1. What is the T train like from Changsha to Zhangjiajie?

2. Has anyone taken the bus from Changsha to Wulingyuan, there are two a day which I'm told takes 3 1/2 to 4 hours?

3. How long is the trip if you take the bus from Changsha to Zhangjiajie then a taxi to Wulingyuan?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or Bus Changsha to Zhangjiajie

1. You have found the very train, T8308, only this train runs in reasonable time frame and with easy accessibility to tickets. Can't describe what it is like. Have you experience with a T trains before? You can compare. Trains are similar except those titled with only 4 figures or G or D or C.

2. Please reconfirm if this bus really exists (perhaps only available by warm season). If yes, it will be good you get straight out where people take as best base camp to do sightseeing.

3. normally 3.5 hrs + 40 min.

Edited: 7:05 am, March 23, 2013
Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or Bus Changsha to Zhangjiajie

Hi OrientalRed, You were very helpful last time I planned a trip to China!

It is difficult to get information about the direct bus. I understand it only runs at 7:40 and 14:30. The early bus doesn't suit us and I do prefer trains to buses and our hotel is close to the train station. Jeffrey Tang, a travel agent from Zhangjiajie, has come to the rescue. He has offered to get the train tickets and personally deliver them to our hotel in Changsha. There is only one high speed train per day and since we arrive in the country the night before I was concerned we may miss out on tickets.

It is some years since I took a train in China and I believe there has been a big change. I had a look at photos of T trains, it is less than a 5 hour trip so I'm sure it will be fine.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or Bus Changsha to Zhangjiajie

Quite a lot of people choose to stay in Zhangjiajie city not Wulingyuan town. A few even stay overnight within sightseeing areas. The distance to sightseeing areas from ZJJ is bigger than Wulingyuan, but people can get by.

Securing ticket of train in advance is correct, never bad.

The bus to ZJJ is always available. But those to Wulingyuan may not be legit bus, or they could be legit public bus but may be not very regular in cold or shoulder season. Let your local contact to reconfirm by bus station, anyway.

4. Re: Train or Bus Changsha to Zhangjiajie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, May 07, 2014