We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in China

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in China

A couple of "know it alls" I met at the Changsha airport recently mentioned that they had been driving in China on an international License.

I asked them how that was and they said the car rental guys fixed it for them.

i informed them that is not allowed and you need to have a Chinese License.

I referred them to our site and also to some websites.

I have checked and double checked with my Son who works for the local Kai Fu Governemnt in Chnagsha and with the local police station in Kai Fu, Changsha and was informed it is illegal for anyone / foreigner to drive in any part of China without a valid Chinese driving liocense.

My message to all TAers is that please check and double check before you go and think you can drive yourself, because you can not unless you hold a Chinese driving License.

Please Taers if i am wrong will you advise me. I am sure the ruling has not changed rtecently. has it?

Do the right thing please.

There are many many professional and experienced drivers with their cars to help you and drive you around mostly stress free and very reasonable prices.

Take care

Kind regards

Albon

http://china-driver-license.com/

Edited: 5:12 pm, March 25, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving in China

You have hit the nail on the head!

Exactly!

They all have the appropriate legal visa to drive in China.

Whilst my Children live in China and are Chinese nationals I do not hold currently any long term or permanent visa.

Thank you for sharing that info with me.

Kind regards

Albon

I now feel this forum is com,plete Thanks to you all.

Bye

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,521 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving in China

@Zhuhai2007 - actually in many places in China it is ok to drive on any side of the street or the sidewalk! Ha! Ha!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving in China

very funny Jean - Pierre

14. Re: Driving in China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, June 20, 2013