We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip!!

Columbus, Ohio
13 posts
Save Topic
1st Trip!!

Hi, we are taking our first trip to the Outer Banks August 15-22 and staying in Rodanthe. I'm not having much luck finding things to do, beside chilling on the beach (which will be great). There will be 8 of us all together 4 adults and 4 kids ranging in age from 1 1/2 to 15, any must do suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Another tips would be great as well. Thank you

Take Care,

Amber

Chester, VA
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Trip!!

Hi...I saw your post from July about going to Rodanthe. How was your trip? I'm thinking about going but just not sure yet. I'd love to hear any info you can give me about Rodanthe. I've been to Emerald Isle NC which is further south and it's amazing!

Thanks so much!

Columbus, Ohio
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Trip!!

Hi,

It is beautiful and quite, there is nothing to do in Rodanthe except go to the beach and check out the few small shops that they have. We had never been to the OBX before so we didn't really know what to expect, the whole trip was great. Rodanthe seems to be right in the middle of the Outer Banks so you can get anywhere you want in 30 minutes or less which is nice if you want to check out the other cities around. Manteo is a cute little town north of Rodanthe, check out Pirate Adventure for the kids it is a fun boat ride. Ocracoke Island is really nice too, you have to take the ferry but it is a short ride. The whole trip was really laid back and actually relaxing, unlike most vacations I have been on. There isn't a lot to do so it not like you have to rush around to check everything out. I highly recommend staying oceanfront we stayed soundfront (didn't know soundfront was more for water sports not swimming) anyway parking is very limited if you want to drive to the beaches in Rodanthe. There is beach access within a 15 minute drive of Rodanthe you can drive right on the beach or park if you don't have 4 wheel drive. If you do stay soundside it is beautiful, the sunsets are amazing and the walk isn't bad to the get to the beach but with young kids it would be kinda of tough to drag everything you need and keep an eye on the kids. We used Midgett Realty for our condo, it was beautiful. We had no problems or issues with the condo or the company. I would also suggestion bringing as much food as possible or atleast enough to put off going to the grocery store for a couple days after your check in, there is a Food Lion about 20 minutes away in Avon and it was a mad house on Sunday. That is about all I can think of. If you have anymore questions, just ask I'll be more then happy to answer them for you.

Amber

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Trip!!

Rodanthe is one of my favorite places, however, there really is not much to do there except enjoy the beautiful scenery - the beach and the sound. Windsurfing is big there. I was there in October, went down for 5 days and stayed in Mirlo Beach as I do each year. We had a beautiful view of Serendipity, the house of Nights in Rodanthe fame. I have a feeling that the nor'easter has impacted the house. You are quite removed from things - there is a food lion about 15-20 minutes down the road, and if you are looking for restaurants/nightlife, Nags Head is about 25 minutes away. It is a wonderful, peaceful, and beautiful place but if you are the type that needs a lot of "things" to do, this is not the place!

4. Re: 1st Trip!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 13, 2010