We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Raleigh Area in May - Suggestions??

East Norriton...
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Raleigh Area in May - Suggestions??

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Raleigh area at the end of May, a long weekend. We are talking about relocating to the area and want to go down and drive around for a few days to get a feel for the area and if we really like it and/or center in on a specific area.

We were thinking of staying out of town, possibly in the Garner/Clayton direction so that we could drive into town in the morning to see what the rush hour traffic is really like.

Is there a better way we should go about doing this? If we stayed in Garner, are there hotels available and other things to do in the area in the way of restaurants/pubs/etc?

TIA

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
155 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Raleigh Area in May - Suggestions??

As far as the rush hour traffic is concerned, be prepared to be frustrated. From what I understand from coworkers both Highway 70 and I-40 West are nightmares coming from Clayton probably starting around 7:30 am. But it is a very nice area to live. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, that's just my $.02.

East Norriton...
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Raleigh Area in May - Suggestions??

Thanks for the info.

In the area where we live now, a 45 min to 1 hr commute is pretty common and I think 45 minutes is fairly reasonable...my office is twelve miles from my home now and it has never taken less than 45 minutes.

Do you think it would be much more than that from Clayton or Garner to Raleigh? From everything I've heard and read, a long commute is something that I would be willing to overlook but if it's much more than an hour, that might coax us to look at another town possibly.

Thanks again!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Raleigh Area in May - Suggestions??

Your best bet would probably be try to live in Southern Raleigh/Northern Garner area. The home prices are about the same as Clayton but the commutes and proximity to downtown and other amenities are a ton better!!

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Raleigh Area in May - Suggestions??

The commute from Clayton to most of Raleigh is about a half hour-45 minutes. A Clayton bypass is being built and it will alleviate much of the congestion. There aren't any hotels in Clayton itself, but most of the hotels/restaurants are on the Clayton/Garner line in an area called Cleveland, at exit 312 off I 40.

Clayton is in Johnston County and Garner is in Wake County; if you have school age kids, the scool systems might be an issue. You might also look in Wendell/Zebulon, as a new bypass was just opened for US64, and the new I-540 will open in a couple months opening the area up to much quicker commuting options.

East Norriton...
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Raleigh Area in May - Suggestions??

Thanks for that information. From researching on the internet, we seem to think Garner would be a good place to check out for us. We are both accountants (I am a consultant and my husband works in invesetment accounting and does more finance related stuff). Would there typically be more job opportunity for us in Raleigh than in Durham? I'm interested in the State Insurance Department and I think they are located in Raleigh, but would we have more luck in the Durham area? I'm guessing commuting from Garner to Durham would be horrible so we plan to check out the Durham area for a few days as well. From what I hear, it's more diverse and has more "flavor" and we like the sound of that. Any Asian populations anywhere in the area? Asian grocery stores or restaurants you'd recommend?

We are planning to stay at a hotel in the Garner area for a few days and a few days in the Durham area. Are there any hotels in a Durham neighborhood that you would suggest? Also, we are moving up our trip from May to the end of December through to the beginning of January. Is there anything we should check out in the area those few days? We'd like to concentrate on house hunting during the days, but what should we do at night or what attractions should we check out during the day in between house visits?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

East Norriton...
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Raleigh Area in May - Suggestions??

One thing I forgot to ask, anyone know of any Navy Reserve Centers or bases or air stations in the area?

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Raleigh Area in May - Suggestions??

New Year's Eve: firstnightraleigh.com/

If you're in a very large city in PA you'll be happy to see the lower prices for these touring shows in Raleigh: Movin' Out, Jan 2-7-07 (broadwayseriessouth.com/modules.php…) and Cirque Dreams: 12/26-12/31(broadwayseriessouth.com/modules.php…)

Beverly...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Raleigh Area in May - Suggestions??

My husband and I went to Raleigh area for a long weekend in October because we were thinking of relocating to the area. I would recommend staying in the Woodburn Cottage in Raleigh. It is a great B&B and the innkeepers go above and beyond. They made our trip wonderful. Although we are not going to relocate we will go back to visit and stay there again. You can walk to restaurants, pubs, etc from the cottage and you may find yourself wanting to move to the neighborhood although it is expensive.

We went to Chapel Hill and I would recommend spending sometime there. Maybe grab lunch and a drink. It is a cute college town and the campus in great place to walk.

Cary is voted one of the best places to live and work. We were not impressed, but it is worth checking out.

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Raleigh Area in May - Suggestions??

The closest air station is Seymour Johnson Air Force base in Godlsboro, about 30 minutes from Clayton; just follow US 70 east out of Clayton. The commute from Clayton to Durham is a pain. The ideal location for you is Cary or Morrisville, as that area is between Raleigh and Durham/RTP (that's one reason that area has grown so much). You might also consider Knightdale. It's in Wake County and is currently quite a hike to Durham. In January the new leg of I-540 will open near Knightdale and cut that commute significantly.

East Norriton...
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Raleigh Area in May - Suggestions??

KKTravelForFun, what made you decide not to relocate to the area?

From what I've heard of Cary, I don't think we'd be interested, but we'll definitely check it out to get our own take on it.