We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested Raleigh neighborhoods for $1 million plus homes

nld123
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested Raleigh neighborhoods for $1 million plus homes

I am a native Washingtonian living in Northern Virginia with my husband and 3 young children. My husband and I went to check out Raleigh-Chapel Hill to see if we want to consider a move to the area and thought it would take several trips to make up our minds. We only saw North Raleigh homes and did not make it out to Wakefield Plantation (which I had read about) or to Chapel Hill, which my husband thought he would like best. However, at the end of the first day we found a house we loved in Linville (off of Old Creedmoor Rd. near Norwood, I think). We really liked the mature trees, as opposed to vast open spaces like the Registry...just our preference. Ravenscroft is the school that interests us, so if you can give us any insight regarding that, as well, we would appreciate it. My children enjoy things like swimming, ice skating, horseback riding and walking our dog and I hope to have a grocery store and some other shoppling relatively close...in case that helps you help us with your insights regarding the Raleigh area.

Wake Forest, nc
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested Raleigh neighborhoods for $1 million plus homes

You should probably consider finding a real estate agent who specializes in estate homes. You may like Governors Club material (Chapel Hill) .. although you may have some issues with schools (too far from Ravenscroft). You'd be considering Wakefield Estates vs. Wakefield Plantation (across the street from each other.. the Plantation is a Raleigh address and the Estates have a Wake Forest address). There is also a new development coming in off of Hwy 98 - just outside Wake Forest but in Raleigh juristiction.. it is called "Hasentree." They haven't even built any homes yet... but there is still a guard outside the property. Really ritzy.. really fancy.. golf club, etc. I hear this is where celebs wanting to invest in real estate will buy homes.. the other they like to invest in is Governors Club (mentioned above).

nld123
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested Raleigh neighborhoods for $1 million plus homes

Thank you for your reply to my post...it was very helpful. We are going to look into Hasentree when we go back to Raleigh in November. We wouldn't really take advantage of the golf; however, I like a community-type neighborhood. I checked out the website and they are going to have quite a few extras within the community. Also, the builder whose home we liked in Linville is one of the builders in Hasentree - SilverCrest. I will drive from Hasentree to Ravenscroft, knowing that the commute could get worse as development becomes more dense, to see how long it takes (it's took us 6 minutes from Linville).

Thanks again!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested Raleigh neighborhoods for $1 million plus homes

Good morning from Hickory, where I'm visiting after a wonderful week of house shopping with an expert, in just what you are looking for. Although my range was different, Lynne Zimmerman of the Remax In Chapel Hill is a seasoned veteran of more than 20 years. In addition to tours of dozens of homes, she gave me tours of local points of interests, many of which included information on many high end houses and thier builders and sales history. She knew tons about everything from taxes, schools, local color , activities and best driving routes!!!! Another advantage to having a veteran such as Lynne, she's not 'hungry', her passion is the perfect fit. I was referred to her by a friend in my chamber of commerce back in Denver, and you can be sure... I'm greatful!!!

Nadine (from Denver, but soon to be.... from Chapel Hill)

Raleigh
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested Raleigh neighborhoods for $1 million plus homes

Let me know what you think about Brier Creek...

http://www.briercreekcountryclub.com/

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
275 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested Raleigh neighborhoods for $1 million plus homes

You might want to look at either Meadowmont or Southern Village. These communites are more "urban" living with the homes close together, but they are wonderful family communites with shopping, stores, and restaurants in walking distance. Very family friendly, and you can't go wrong with Chapel Hill schools.

nld123
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested Raleigh neighborhoods for $1 million plus homes

My husband is in Raleigh this week working with our realtor. He put a deposit on a lot in Brier Creek. He was impressed with what Toll Brothers builds for the money; however, he is not overly thrilled with the lot (1/3 acre). There were only about 40 lots left. Have you been happy with the quality of your house in Brier Creek?

He checked out Hassentree, but said it appears it will be many years before that development materializes and has the clubhouse and activities they advertise.

7. Re: Suggested Raleigh neighborhoods for $1 million plus homes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:03 pm, January 04, 2007