We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wake County

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
770 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Wake County

My husband just found out about a job opportunity for Wake County. I know this includes part of the triangle area....if we were to move there we would be looking for a more affluent neighborhood. What areas do you suggest we look at?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wake County

I'm not very "affluent" myself...LOL.... but I'm guessing Raleigh neighborhoods such as Oakwood, Mordecai, Hayes Barton, Budleigh, Cameron Park, Ridgewood, Bloomsbury, Sunset Hills, Vanguard, Roanoke Park, and Oakdale would be the ones most likely to fit that description.

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
770 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wake County

TY Rob...let me ask this...what about outside of wake county but within a 45 min drive?

Raleigh
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wake County

I would recommend looking in Brier Creek. It is in the heart of the triangle in a golf course community. Search the internet for Brier Creek.

Wake Forest, nc
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wake County

Lisa - where will you be working? I say this because there are oodles of affluent communities outside of Wake County - but if..say.. you are working in Apex you probably don't want to live in Granville County !

Are you looking to be outside of the Raleigh city limits but still in Wake County?

Also - the word "affluent community" can mean a lot of things. For some folks this is 400,000 - others 800,000 and still others in the million plus range. All can be found in Wake County, Raleigh, etc.

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
770 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wake County

He will be working for Wake County with the school district. If he takes the job. They are still in discussions and we are planning a trip out to look around next month. So at the Board Office in Raleigh.

Affluent to us is a family community, $300+homes, multiple ammenities with no public housing and rare to see rental properties.

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wake County

Raleigh is much different than Cleveland. Living inside the city is a good thing, not a bad thing. There are many many suburban ares of the city. The farther you stray from Wake County, the more you get into rural NC. That means few if any upsacale restaurants/amenities, lack of upscale grocers, etc. The city of Raleigh (and the Town of Cary) are your best bets, as they have much more stringent zoning than unincorporated areas of Wake county (and certainly other counties). Outside the city limits you're liable to have a trailer or doublewide next to your development/home, open fires are legale and much lest police/fire protection. Also, if you have kids, the school systems aren't what we have in Wake County. Orange County might be an exception, but if he works for WCPSS on Wake Forest Rd (or in town), why deal with the commute? I recommend North Raleigh zip codes 27613, 27614 (most affluent) and 27615. Cary zips are 27511, 27513 (and I think 27512).

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
770 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wake County

Thank you WRSUM...Im jotting down those zips now. BTW...isn't Cary where the native NC want all us Yankee's to go? My friend was teasing us that if we move to Cary it stands for "Containment Area for Relocating Yankees". I thought that was funny.

Wake Forest, nc
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wake County

If I am correct - you are talking about the Wake County Public School main office on Wake Forest Road near the I-440 Beltline???

You may be in for a bit of sticker shock.. $300,000 will buy you a nice home.. but not exactly in the most "affluent neighborhoods" of Raleigh/Wake County... you may have some success in Eastern Wake County - Zebulon or Wendell, East Raleigh - Hedingham, Johnston County/Clayton area, some areas of Wake Forest or Rolesville. There is a small section in Wakefield with homes in the 300,000 range. You can find properties in that price range in North Raleigh or Cary.. but they may be older and outdated.. the trade off being larger lots, mature lawns, etc.

Sorry - can't really comment about the apartment/public housing issue...

Raleigh
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Wake County

Lisalala, there's a saying that money doesn't equal class- you're the perfect example. I'd much prefer to live in a community with public housing or rental properties than someone who thinks buying $300k home means they are better than others. And by the way, a $300k house is not all that expensive. Please stay where you are.

Affluent to us is a family community, $300+homes, multiple ammenities with no public housing and rare to see rental properties.

globetrotter
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wake County

North Raleigh is the up and coming area of town esp. with the new (ish) 540. We lived in an area bordered by Strickland, Creedmore and Falls of Neuse - the best of city with country thrown in. We lived in Summerfield N. backing onto a horse ranch (in town!!) Prices are also reasonable and established neighborhoods have loads of established activities.

Concerning schools: please be advised that it doesn't matter where in Wake county you decide to live. You children will probably be bussed miles from home in order to achieve ethnic and economic diversity. We moved from CA where neighborhood schools were the norm and you purchased a home based on the school. Did the same in Raleigh but learned that even if you live next door it is unlikely that's where your kids will go. Choose a home on the location not the school in Wake County