We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to Raleigh from Atlanta

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Relocating to Raleigh from Atlanta

My husband and I are thinking of relocating and in our research came across Raleigh. I wanted to see if anyone has relocated from the Atlanta area and get their opinions. We are both originally from Florida but have no interest in moving back there. We like the weather for the most part in Atlanta, love the change of season. I guess we are looking for an area that is a little closer to the water and I think Raleigh is about 2 hrs away. For us that is a major improvement from 5 hrs like we are right now. We also enjoy more of an artsy feel with enough to do but not so spread out. Housing and schools are important but we don't have children yet so it wouldn't be an immediate priority. In terms of nightlife we prefer going out to a nice dinner and possibly a local bar to get a drink. I like that Chapel Hill is a college town. We both prefer local restaurants over chains and I can't live without a Whole Foods. We do like the variety of restaurants that Atlanta has to offer and one of my concerns is moving somewhere that wouldn't have a wide variety. If anyone can give me some more insight into the Raleigh area I would appreciate it!! Thanks!

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating to Raleigh from Atlanta

You don't say where in Atlanta you live, but Raleigh is much more like a large town than a city when compared to Atlanta. We're 2 hours from the ocean. Traffic is nothing compared to Atlanta; you can get from one side of metro to the other in 45 minutes. Chapel is a good location for you as might be Five Points/Inside Beltline section of Raligh(more like Paces Ferry), but expect to pay for the real estate. Your biggest dissapointments will be the restaurants and entertainment. There seems to be an independent restaurant or bar on every corner of Atlanta- not so in Raleigh (Although Chapel is much less chain-restaurant dependent). Also, Buckhead alone is more developed than even downtown Raleigh. With all this said, I highly prefer Raleigh for several reasons, the biggest reason being the rat race factor. It just doesn't seem to existe here like in Atlanta, Charlotte and the bigger cities. It is an exceptional place to raise a family. The decision boils down to: do you want to live in a big city or a big town? Yes Raleigh is a city, we just don't act that way. Raleigh, Cary, Chapel and Durham, while all in the same metro area, have their own identity and you can live in any of those places and never feel the need to visit the others. Good Luck!

boston
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating to Raleigh from Atlanta

I am originally from Syracuse, moved to Atlanta for 10 years, then to Boston for 4, and now moved to Raleigh a week ago. Even though I LOVED Atlanta, many of my friends were moving, the Buckhead scene was changing, and to be honest - I needed a change. Atlanta is a fun city, but yes, the traffic is horrible. People in Boston thought the Big Dig traffic was bad-just move to Atlanta! I'm in my late 30's and was looking for seasonal weather, good schools (have been a school teacher for 12 years) , and a lower cost of living. Through a lot of research - Raleigh was my decision. I did visit Charlottte and had a job offer in the school district. The city just didn't hit me with a hometown feel like Raleigh did. Everyone is different, but Raleigh seems to have everything that you need (except the Red Sox or a major league baseball team). There are plenty of resaurants and outdoor dining. I love Whole Foods too and have already met a new friend at one of them. As for the weather, I would believe it to be very similiar to Atlanta, but not as hot (I've only been here a week)?? I hope I answered some of your questions.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating to Raleigh from Atlanta

Sorry I didn't specify, we live OTP in Duluth. Close to 85 and can get into the city (on a good day with no traffic) in about 25-30 mins depending on where we are going. The main thing I that I dislike about our immediate area (we live across the street from the Sugarloaf Country Club) is that all the restaurants are chain and we have to drive downtown to eat anything that is decent (besides a couple places). We've thought about moving downtown to the Candler Park area. I think ultimately we'd like to live in a smaller area, but still enjoy the arts and culture that a larger city offers. We want to have children soon and I would like to get settled in a new area before that happens so we are thinking about making a move in early spring (once we can sell our house). I've also been looking into Durham. Any suggestions about that area?

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating to Raleigh from Atlanta

Chapel Hill would be my first recommendation but Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are all acceptable. (FYI, I grew up in Raleigh, went to college in Chapel Hill, and have lived in Durham for 10 years).

RE: Durham.

While some may criticize the area due to its ethnic makeup and crime rates in some parts of the city, Durham has lots of nice areas, great restaurants (Pop's, Nana's George's Garage, Cafe Parizade, Four Square to name a few), an eclectic arts scene, excellent museums (Museum of Life and Science, Nasher Museum of Art), and a great shopping mall (Southpoint). The overall school system has some weaknesses but Durham Jordan is an excellent high school.

I would recommend the following areas in Durham: Southpoint, Auburn, Chancellor's Ridge, Woodcroft/Woodlake, Hope Valley Farms, and Treyburn among others.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocating to Raleigh from Atlanta

You're in luck, we have Whole Foods in all the main Triangle cities. Plus a local version, Earth Fare, many local farmer's markets and some co-ops too.

From your other interests, I'd say any of the main Triangle cities (Raleigh, Durham, or ChapelHill/Carrboro) would be to your liking. Keep in mind that there are "urban" parts of the cities (nightlife, dining, artsy, etc) and then there are the outlying "suburban" parts too, which are way-less interesting.

Regardless of which of the three cities you choose, you can easily find a great variety of homes in and near their downtowns that provide the kind of lifestyle you mention here. I think you'll be happy with what we have to offer.

Raleigh
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocating to Raleigh from Atlanta

I was born and raised in Georgia and lived in Raleigh for 7 years. It is a nice place to live. I currently own a house in Raleigh and looking to sell. It is in a gated community called "BrierCreek". You can do a search and get all the details on the amenities. I built the house for my dad to come and stay, but he got stubborn and took a cab all the way back to Fort Valley, Georgia. I am now in San Francisco with a empty new house. Let me know what questions you may have about Raleigh.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Relocating to Raleigh from Atlanta

Lived in ATL for 6 years(St.Marlo, S.Forsyth), been in Raleigh 5. Really didn't want to leave ATL, but after getting here realized what a rat race ATL is. Much more pleasant pace of life here. Fewer professional teams, but Stanley Cup champs. All the culture we need. Found housing prces to be about 25% higher than equivalent in ATL.

West Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Relocating to Raleigh from Atlanta

usen - is your house still available? we just left the area on vacation and loved brier creek.

9. Re: Relocating to Raleigh from Atlanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 21, 2009