We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Raleigh

waterval boven
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in Raleigh

Hi

I will be in Raleigh for a conference in June 201.

I will have 5 days after the conference to explore.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Sean

NC
Level Contributor
459 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Raleigh

Visit the Raleigh museums - FREE! The NC Museum of Art is especially good - if you like art. But - it will help if you let people know what you like to do. You might not be a "museum" person.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Raleigh

There is enough in the immediate area to hold your interest for a couple of days, especially with Durham and Chapel Hill within easy reach, but I think most would point you to the mountains or beach, each within an easy drive.

To the west, I would suggest Asheville and/ or Blowing Rock, both of which are top destinations and which are connected by a particularly scenic segment of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The closet beaches would be in the Wilmington area and are only about two hours from Raleigh. I might suggest those in the Morehead City area which are a little further but which include historic Beaufort.

You could try to do both but expect a 6 hour drive from Wilmington to Blowing Rock.

I am sure you will get plenty of good suggestions on what to see and do, where to stay and dine, etc. once you set your itinerary. Weather should be near perfect either place.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,061 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Raleigh

In general the middle of the state of North Carolina is where people live and work. Raleigh is a great town for that and does have good museums and restaurants (also especially good restaurants in nearby Durham and Chapel Hill), but when North Carolinians want to play we do usually head to the mountains or the beaches. Raleigh is just 2 hours from the beach if you'll have access to a car. It's a straight shot down I-40 to Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach.

I see from your profile that you're from South Africa? Very far away from NC!! I have only seen pictures of SA, but what I've seen looks amazing. Reminds me of Zion National Park in SW Utah. North Carolina is a very beautiful state, but it's a very pleasant, relaxing beauty rather than dramatic beauty. Our mountains are green and tree-covered, rather than rocky outcroppings, but lovely. Our beaches are sandy and dotted with lighthouses and lots of rental homes for vacation getaways.

Let us know what interests you and we'll point you in the right direction.

dfb
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Raleigh

This NY Times article might be a place to start.

nytimes.com/2014/…

5. Re: 5 days in Raleigh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 09, 2015