We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Raleigh

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Topic
Weekend in Raleigh

My husband and I are visiting Raleigh from Los Angeles in the end of February. We would appreciate if some one can suggest a decent location for us to stay with good bars and restaurants within walkable distance. We are looking for an area to experience Raleigh nightlife for a weekend. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
747 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Raleigh

My favorite place to stay downtown is the Marriott. Its the newest and nicest and is very easy to get around to everything. marriott.com/hotels/…

There is tons to do and you can get to everything from there. Most is walkable, but there is also the free R-line bus and pedi-cabs are everywhere many nights. For what there is to do and see, this is the best site to check out: http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/explore

Let us know in particular what you are looking for and we can give you more specifics. Also, let us know the weekend you are coming and I'm happy to make specific suggestions. There is plenty of live music, theater, art galleries, etc etc. as well as museums, great restaurants of all kinds.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
747 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Raleigh

And here is my usual restuarant tips:

My fav downtown places are Raleigh TImes (good beer and bar food, great crowd and rooftop patio), Sitti (upscale, but not fancy, middle eastern), Centro (great mex), Any of Ashley Christianson's places (Beaseley's for fried chicken, Chucks for burgers, Poole's for local), Capitol CIty 16 (eastern european menu, great people watching from outside tables, great vibe), Remedy (tiny place, good drinks and food, some vegetarian options), Humble Pie (best patio in town, plus outside bar, great great food....one of our regular spots).

We don't really have any old standards downtown, unless you count Coopers BBQ. They long since stopped cooking over wood, but still make a passable bbq and GREAT fried chicken. But it is still a classic NC type bbq restaurant to visit. You can also get great, wood smoked Q at The PIt, but do not mistake it for a classic NC Q place....it is new and white tablecloth.

Some of my fav spots in town, but not necessarily for the food, are: Boylan Bridge Brewpub (best view from a patio in the whole city...not to be missed...food and beer just okay, but they make a good cocktail), Busy bee upstairs deck (You can get there by winding up through the restaurant, or cut through the Hive, but it is a nice spot and the food is good).

_____

Edited to add some new places, such as Stanbury Restaurant. New and now one of the best places in town, but you will need a reservation on a weekend and a cab to get there, as it is a bit on the edge of downtown. Also Fiction Kitchen, which has amazing vegetarian food and great cocktails. We are NOT vegetarian and love it.

Best bars: Foundation, Times, the Greenlight inside the Architect.....

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Raleigh

Thank you so much! The link that you provided is very helpful.

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Raleigh

Would you recommend staying in Glenwood South or Moore Square for easy access to all the bars and restaurants?

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
747 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Raleigh

If you look at site I suggested, you will see that there are several downtown "areas". Most of these are walkable from the Marriott, except Glenwood South, and that is accessible by Rline, etc.

IMHO, Fayetteville Street or Warehouse District are the most fun. Great restaurants and bars. museums and theaters, as well as live music largely in these two districts. You can walk to these AND Moore Square from Marriott/Fayetteville Street. Glenwood south is great too, best if you are in your 20's. Tends to really get going after 11...velvet ropes and all(but obviously not like LA!)

Raleigh, North...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Raleigh

You definitely cannot go wrong with the previous suggestions. All restaurants and bars mentioned are fantastic and if you're looking strictly for nightlife downtown is your best bet. I personally favor Glenwood South, but I'm in my 20's so I confirm VaNC's earlier point.

Just for a little variety for the OP, my wife and I love the North Hills area. They have several nicer places to eat - Vivace (Italian) and Coquette (French), Cowfish (burgers/sushi), Midtown Grille (upscale American), Chuy's (Tex-Mex chain out of Texas, very affordable), and Mura (Japanese fusion).

North Hills has a few bars - World of Beer (huge beer selection, offers cocktails too), Yardhouse, Fox and Hound (sports bar, usually good drink specials), and Sparians (upscale bowling alley). Although it leaves a lot to be desired after around 11pm, it's only a $10 cab ride to Glenwood South or $15 to Fayetteville St. if you're looking for a later night.

There is a Renaissance Hotel for higher end accommodations and a new Hyatt House across the street. There's also boutique shops, a movie theater, and a grocery store - all within walking distance.

http://www.northhillsraleigh.com/

7. Re: Weekend in Raleigh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 02, 2015