We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need new restaurant suggestions

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
758 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Need new restaurant suggestions

Hubby & I are heading over to Raleigh again in April for our anniversary and we would like to try a new restaurant. We are looking for a very nice place that offers swordfish. We have eaten at McCormick & Schmicks, so we are looking for something different. I found Vivace here on TA and it seems like it would be a good choice. Can any of you Raleigh/Durham locals recommend any other nice places? Price is not an issue, so if it's upscale, that would be fine too.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
738 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need new restaurant suggestions

If money was no object, I would go to the Heron's at The Umstead (and stay there too) or Poole's or Stanbury or Bloomsbury or...I'll keep thinking...but these are our go-to places for a special night out. Not sure if any of them offer swordfish, but you can check their menus online. Vivace is a great place, with a lovely outside seating area for April and a lively crowd. I would not say it is one of the best in town, though.

Some of the best fish around, I think, would be at Lantern in Chapel Hill. You could stay at the Carolina Inn or the Franklin and bump around Chapel Hill too.

NC
Level Contributor
758 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need new restaurant suggestions

Thank you Van! You always provide great suggestions, so I will definitely check all of your recommendations out!!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,827 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need new restaurant suggestions

Lantern is great, but I wouldn't necessarily think of swordfish there. It's an award-winning asian fusion restaurant and they do feature fish, though. Great place. http://lanternrestaurant.com

For seafood in Chapel Hill you might try Squid's. http://www.squidsrestaurant.com . I don't know if they have swordfish or not. It was my understanding that swordfish is over-fished in many places and not always a sustainable choice. I think there are some sustainable swordfish available, but it might be harder to find if you've got your heart set on it. Many other fish in the sea, too.

NC
Level Contributor
758 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need new restaurant suggestions

Thanks Pancho! Yes, you are correct--many other great fish from the sea and we can get many of those here in Winston, like lobster, yellow fin, etc. We just don't have any seafood places here that serve swordfish. Since we are heading to the Raleigh area for the weekend, we like to go somewhere that has swordfish. (We do the same thing every time we go to Florida....smile).

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,827 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need new restaurant suggestions

Wish I had a better rec for Raleigh, but check out what VaNC said. I have heard good things about 18 Seaboard and see they do have swordfish on their menu right now: http://www.18seaboard.com/menu_dinner.html

NC
Level Contributor
758 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need new restaurant suggestions

Yum! My mouth just waters looking at that menu! Thank you so much for the recommendation!!

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
68 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need new restaurant suggestions

Second Empire has amazing food. It is an upscale restaurant and is actually in a historical house in the downtown area. My husband and I went to a wedding reception here and had the most delicious meal ever. Check out the website and see what you think. I don't think you will be disappointed.

8. Re: Need new restaurant suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, March 16, 2015