We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raleigh or Durham for one night

Bayside, New York
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Raleigh or Durham for one night

We will have one full day in the area before flying out of the Raleigh/Durham airport the next day...We will have a car so transportation is not an issue.

Would you suggest a hotel in Raleigh or Durham is best? We would like to do some sightseeing and a nice dinner (nothing fancy as we will have 4 year old with us).

Any recommendations for hotels or things to do or restaurants would be great!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raleigh or Durham for one night

I think either town is fine for an overnight before catching a flight. Both have things to do and good restaurants.

If you get there during the day the NC Museum of Life & Science in Durham is great for 4 yr olds, although a little better for elementary school age (say 6-11), but there's plenty to interest the younger set, too. www.ncmls.org . Tons of good family friendly restaurants in Durham, too. You might like to take in a Durham Bulls minor league baseball game: www.dbulls.com . Super kid friendly and good food around the ballpark. I think the Bulls games are a little more convivial than the major leagues.

In Raleigh the new wing of the NC Natural Sciences museum downtown. www.naturalsciences.org . is great, but I do think it is geared more toward older elementary, middle & high school + and less preschoolers. I'm sure there would be things a 4 year old would like, but there's a lot of stuff that might be a bit much for him. This museum is FREE! Also downtown in Raleigh is Marbles museum (not free) which is perfectly targeted to the 4 yr old: http://www.marbleskidsmuseum.org . There is an admission charge for Marbles, but it's not too bad. There's an admission charge for NCMLS in Durham, too.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raleigh or Durham for one night

Yeah, either Raleigh or Durham are great. Pancho musuem recs are spot on. My kids loved MLS at that age. Yes, some of the inside exhibits are above that age, but they have a huge playground, animals, bears, outdoor dinosaur exhibit (what 4 year old doesn't love that), and cool wind exhibits outside and weather exhibits inside. And the insectarium and butterfly house are really really great.

The Nature Research Center of the Museum of NAtural Science is a bit over that age, but the "old" part of the museum with the fish tanks and dioramas (new style, my kids liked them) and discovery room and "touch an animal" shows were my kids favs at that age. And free. Marbles is great too.

If you stay in downtown Raleigh, you can travel by rickshaw and free rline bus. Because of my husbands work, we travel internationally a lot and when my kids were little they LOVED bus rides more than anything in foreigh cities....go figure. And some of the rickshaw drivers make it better than a roller coaster...if you tip well...but still cheaper than a ride at the fair!

The Daily Planet cafe at the Nature Research Center is kid friendly, good and cheap.

Don't know Hotels in Durham as much, but can tell you that in downtown raleigh there is the hampton inn, as well as the Sheraton and Marriott....all within walking or rline distance from the museums. Tons of kid friend places downtown (my def of kid friendly, yummy and loud), such as Raleigh Times, Remedy, Mecca (old school...my kids liked sitting at the counter and ordering a plate of spagetti), Also Armadillo Grill or Mellow Mushroom (great pizza) in Glenwood South.

3. Re: Raleigh or Durham for one night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 21, 2014