We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No southern charm!

Le Roy, Illinois
Level Contributor
225 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
No southern charm!

I was so excited to go check out Raleigh for possible relocation. I thought that would be my dream town-but I was so disappointed. After the posts described so much to do, with southern charm, I am confused. I did not find much to do, the itty bitty "city market" does not compare to many of the cities I've been to. The southern charm-where? Did I read all of the posts wrong? For those that have ever been to Savannah, Virginia Beach, etc, Raleigh is a disappointment. The biggest disappointment was the restaurant service. They take their sweet time on even getting you a menu-with no one in the place (yes, that was at most restaurants). I will never waste my time going to Raleigh again.

Wake Forest, nc
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: No southern charm!

Raleigh is certainly not a Charleston, SC.. a Savannah... a Virginia Beach.. Raleigh is just that.. Raleigh. And thats okay. Still.. Raleigh has its redeeming value. For a state capital.. the downtown is awful cozy with its statues of Sir Walter Raleigh.. Confederate monuments & standard Capital buidings. The southern charm is here.... you just have to go out a bit more to find it.. out of the city limits.. to the small towns with more of a community feel vs. strip and build.

Garner NC
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: No southern charm!

Yes raleigh is a not like a big city, but their not that bad! I dont like to go to raleigh much. I do agree that if you go away from raleigh they are nicer. I live in Garner, and i like it. Garner is growing, so we have almost the same kind of shopping as doens raleigh.

I have usally get good service when i go out. Now if you were at the restaurants on Glenwood ave, they are stuck up a bit for my taste.

NC
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No southern charm!

The more Yankees come here, the more we lose our "Southern Charm". Help us keep what we have left.....PLEASE.

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No southern charm!

You would be better off in Charleston or Savannah (or maybe even Atlanta). Raleigh is not a great place to visit, as there are limited things to do. On the other hand, you can't find a better place to live and raise a family. The folks here are generally friendly and cordial, not afraid of eye contact or to say "hello," and always willing to help. No, the women don't fan themselves, and wear funny hats, and there are few old southern homes compared to all the new construction that has cropped up. At the same time we have one of the top school systems in the country, everything is green. landscaped and beautiful, and the rat race hasn't arrived yet. Neighbors still talk to each other, and there is s sense of peace when your kids are playing outside.

As for the resuaturants, we have over 500 restaurants in Wake County, and if you were here for an entire week, you might have hit 14 (I bet it was more like 5 or 6 though). I agree other towns have better restuarants (you mentioned tourist towns, so no wonder).

I can't speak for everyone in Raleigh, but if you never come to Raleigh again, that's okay. We have plenty of folks here who appreciate it, and we can't accommodate EVERYONE here...good luck finding your new home.

Wake Forest, nc
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: No southern charm!

My family just moved from North Raleigh to Wake Forest and they continue to be "amazed" at how friendly it is here. They actually call it Pleasant Town. My mom said she doesn't know how to deal with so much friendliness... quite honestly she is used to the majority of people being rude and impatient. She lived in N. Raleigh for 22 plus years. On her advisement, my brother also moved to Wake Forest and couldn't be happier. He keeps saying everybody is so helpful and nice !!! I think one of the big reasons is people are generally friendlier and more laid back... and well. just southern.

Many of the people working in retail are locals of many generations from communities north of here.. out in the country... with little or any "northern influence." As a yankee transplant myself.. I feel free to say that without fear of anybody slinging mud on my face.

Find a small town on the outskirts of Raleigh proper and you will be amazed. Just about everything you need is available. In Wake County think : Knightdale, Wendell, Fuquay, Wake Forest, Holly Springs, Rolesville or perhaps the outskirts of Apex or Garner. Or Granville County or Frankin County. Although many people adore the area and claim it is the "best" - think twice about Raleigh or especially Cary. Sorry Caryites.. we all know what CARY... Containment Area for Relocating Yankees.. right.. (just kidding.. I think).....

Delran
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No southern charm!

I am a New Jersyan moving down to Raleigh area this summer. I just visited the area this past memorial day weekend, and I loved it! It was great! I am going down for the low cost of living, better schools, nicer houses, and most of all nicer people! I am so irritated with the expense, bad schools, and rude people up in this dump new jersey. No, I am not like all of the other Yankees moving down there that are going to destroy the "southern charm", I actually think I will blend in quite well.

7. Re: No southern charm!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, August 15, 2009