We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raleigh or Charlotte?

New York City, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Raleigh or Charlotte?

Hi - My husband and I are thinking about making the move to NC from NJ. We are in our 30's with a young baby. Would you recommend Raleigh or Charlotte? We're interested in great neighborhoods and school systems.

Thanks!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raleigh or Charlotte?

I think you would find great neighborhoods and schools in either city. I relocated to NC from NJ 12 years ago and love the climate, the friendliness of the people, slower lifestyle and more reasonable cost of living. Have you thought about which city would offer better job opportunities for you? That might be a factor. Just want to give you the heads up that your post might end up disappearing since this is a travel forum. That hasn't always happened, but it does sometimes....

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raleigh or Charlotte?

Check out city-data forums:

city-data.com/forum/…

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raleigh or Charlotte?

Raleigh if it fits your employment needs. Raleigh has the best of both worlds... lots of arts and sports options, great school system, great medical facilities, traffic and crime less than Charlotte and a beautiful greenway system. It is a wonderful place for families with many different areas to choose for living based on your preferences. Downtown has recently become a young family magnet with suburban areas like North Raleigh, Midtowne and Cary also very popular. Best of luck with your decision. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any specific questions.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raleigh or Charlotte?

Both cities are good; basically you go where the jobs are. jCharlotte - Blakeney/Ballantyne has good schools & great neighborhoods.

On the other hand, if I had the opportunity & job closeby, I would pick Carrboro/Chapel Hill.. But out of 3 (not taking Durham into consideration), Charlotte/Fort Mill SC would have the cheapest housing (value for money).

Unlike all mentioned cities, Charlotte has a Lynx train (kind of above ground metro), + Express buses & Park & Ride, so the ride to downtown (here called Uptown) is the fastest...

Again, it all depends on the job situation. I would suggest you visit first. Good Luck!

Edited: 10:46 am, March 09, 2013
New York City, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Raleigh or Charlotte?

Thanks everyone! My husband may actually have the choice with his current company to work in Charlotte or Raleigh and I would be working remotely.

Sophie - you mentioned Durham is that a good area? I believe my company has a site there that I may be able to work out of if I chose to...

Beachfan - Is Cary a good area for younger families / schools?

Thanks!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Raleigh or Charlotte?

Durham has the most reasonable housing. However, there are some nice areas and some not so nice, IMO.

But Pinhook is there... If you decide for Raleigh, Durham is not that far.. You probably should visit. I'll let Beachfan answer about Cary. The only 2 places I know well = downtown + Amtrak station - very nice, & Klara Czech

Restaurant ....which has moved to Raleigh...?

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g49463-d38…

Edited: 1:03 pm, March 09, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Raleigh or Charlotte?

Just in case you are interested: http://www.thepinhook.com/

Kind of pub/bar, often line music, all ages...

http://www.thepinhook.com/calendar/

http://www.thepinhook.com/about/

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Raleigh or Charlotte?

sophie0811 Thank you so much for the Klara link. I had no idea a Czech restaurant had opened and it looks really great. Wonderful tip!

9. Re: Raleigh or Charlotte?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 12, 2014