We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuquay-Varina, NC

Centreville...
2 posts
Save Topic
Fuquay-Varina, NC

Can anyone tell me about this town? Schools, shopping convenience, entertainment, neighborhoods? How does it compare to Apex, Holly Springs or North Raleigh? My husband, 8 month old daughter and I are consdering relocation from nothern virginia to the Raleigh area this Fall and Fuquay-Varina has some reasonably priced new construction homes...is this too good to be true?? We are looking in the 300k range. Thanks for your help.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fuquay-Varina, NC

Fuquay has historically been an agricultural town. The area has been big on all types of farming - tobacco, chicken farms,peanuts, etc......It's a nice, firendly small town that is quickly becoming a bedroom community for Raleigh.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,506 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fuquay-Varina, NC

Not too good to be true. We lived for years in No Va and moved to Central Va. where there's sooo much land. In No Va one would expect the land to be developed, built on and sold out immediately. But, in most other parts of the country it takes time. However, once time catches up, once people decide they want to forsake the rat race for the mouse race...it takes off quickly.

The stats for Fuquay Varina have risen from 2000 (city-data) to now. The schools have more children, there are now 5K's, which we found is a sign of yuppy invasion:) Look and decide quickly. People from the area will still be saying, 'it's sooo far to drive to Raleigh'; so-called 'equity refugees' , those who come from the superbig cities with lots of equity out of their homes, will say, 'what a nice community, great deals, and not a bad commute'.

Here's a blurb about schools there nowadays:

"As a part of the Wake County Public School System, which is the second largest school system in North Carolina and 37th largest in the nation, Fuquay-Varina has the only Wake County magnet school with a community model that includes reduced class sizes. Lincoln Heights Elementary School offers international studies, language arts and communications, gifted and talented, and classical studies, as well as extended day and year-round programs."

You can find that under the Resources tab at:fuquay-varina.com/index.asp

We have friends who bought a townhouse in Greenbriar, kind of near you I think, for $14,000 about 25 years ago. Just sold it for around half a million and moved south to a big house, big yard, mountain views. The same thing seems to be happening in parts of NC. A purchase there could be part of your retirement....as could investments in smaller properties that would be built along the way. And the school system seems interested in input as it grows so that you could take part in the growth of the city...and still have the wonderful city amenities of Raleigh, Durham, etc. not far away.

You will also not be giving up being a couple of hours from ocean and mountains.

Centreville...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fuquay-Varina, NC

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post - it certainly gives me more to think about. We plan to visit the Raleigh area next weekend - we have cousins who live in Holly Springs. We will definitely check out the Fuquay-Varina area now. Thanks again.

ny but not for long
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fuquay-Varina, NC

North Raleigh is nice but doesn't have a community feel to it. I prefer Apex the most, needless to say I liked it so much that's where I chose to live. But I actually like Fuquay second, better than Holly Springs. Fuquay is geographically farther away but it has more amenities, a nice downtown (Holly Springs doesn't have one) and a nice feel to it.