We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for neighborhood with older homes

ny
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for neighborhood with older homes

We are ultimately looking for a family neighborhood with older homes - 1940's or earlier. We are willing to do a little renovation but with 2 kids - 5 and 2 - it couldn't be too extensive. We like cape and bungalow style and are looking for something a bit over 2000 square feet. I know there are not many in the Triangle area but if anyone knows of anything, please share.

We also like a nice walking area close by.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for neighborhood with older homes

You can read my response in your Durham post about Greensboro. I didn't know if you were limited to the Triangle or were considering other areas.

Greensboro went through a large population growth in the early/mid 1900's and has more "older" family neighborhoods in my opinion than the Triangle. It also has some nice city parks and is a very kid/parent-friendly city, which is why some people call it "Greensboring" :)

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for neighborhood with older homes

RE: older neighborhoods in Raleigh.

I would suggest Oakwood, Boylan Heights, and an area (don't know its name) just off Glenwood Avenue near Peace Street.

ny
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for neighborhood with older homes

Thank you very much. We are open to different areas that aren't too far away from the Triangle area at this point. Do you have zip codes for these areas by any chance? This way we can look it up on realtor.com.

Thanks in advance.

LA Ca
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for neighborhood with older homes

I am looking for a home that is older with S Charm.

I am interested in one with 2 bedrooms and two baths and a Den.

I prefer larger rooms than a house with smaller rooms and more rooms.

I do not really want to life in a communitie just all famili8es. I am 50 year old single woman.

I would love a front porch, and perhaps a deck in back.

I am looking at something that has already been restored. Walk in closets a must, and a garage. In and around the Ra;eigh area in a nice neighborhood.

Wake Forest, nc
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for neighborhood with older homes

in Raleigh, you would want to look "inside the beltline." Near the downtown area and very trendy.. think "artsy fartsy." I have a friend considering a house in Five Points.. built 1925.. 1250 square feet.. on bath cute but in need of updates and renovations. No garage.. small bungalow type house.. the kind "grandma" lived in. Listing price is $289,900.

The kind of square footage you are needing would be big bucks. You can find these houses but they may be in a shambles.. possibly without toilets ! They are always sold as is so buyer beware !

Good LUCK !

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for neighborhood with older homes

I'm thinking Five Points, Boylan Heights, and Oakwood are 27603 zip code. I'm not positive about that, though.

Wake Forest, nc
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for neighborhood with older homes

a 2000 square foot home inside the beltline would easily cost $400,000 +. Actually.. a house that large would probably be more than $500,000. Plan to spend at least $200.00 a square foot.. or more if the home has been updated/remodeled.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for neighborhood with older homes

yes, you need to look "inside the beltline" in Raleigh. However, while homes are more expensive here, there are a few areas that have seen some rejuvination in the last few years that might be a bit cheaper. You have to assess your risk factor. Boylan Hights is very cute but there are some streets that have a cute houses, then one boarded up, then another cute house.....Five Points is great...expensive (for Raleigh), Georgetown, Mordecai, Oakwood, Cameraon Village, etc. All close to D-town Raleigh with great charm....Good luck!

philly
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for neighborhood with older homes

Oh my - check out the best kept secret which is about a 45 minute drive from both Raleigh and Durham, the town of Warrenton, in the county of Warren, which is where Lake Gaston and Kerr Lake are--two large and joined recreational lakes at the NC/VA border. Warrenton is a circa 1779 beginning town with incredible Victorian homes selling dirt cheap...and outside folks are quietly beginning to buy up there. Some friends of ours just bought an immaculate one, approx. 3200 sf for less than $150,000 and there are several more we are beginning to check out. You are 10 minutes from the lakes (we enjoy sailing) and an I-85 commute to Durham/RTP. We started checking at their website which is www.warrenton-nc.com . I like that the elementary school is in the center of town.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for neighborhood with older homes

Warren Co. schools are FAR inferior to Wake County schools. I would highly recommend against living in Warren Co. if you are raising kids. (Note: my best friend in college was from Warren Co.)