We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to open new restaurant

San Diego...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Relocating to open new restaurant

We will be planning a trip to NC in April, to look at homes and comercial property. For us too the move will be scary. We will be selling our home in San Diego and relocating either to NC or Portland,Oregon. Neither of us will have jobs. Although, I am a makeup artist for a major cosmetic company so I guess I can take assignments wherever I end up. My husband is a profesional chef who specializes in seafood and I love to cook. We've traveled extensively thru-out Mexico and France and picked up some wonderful ideas.We have always thought of opening up our own place, and have decided to finally do so. We were wondering if the Cary/Apex/Wake area would be good for this?

This is where we will be looking for a home also. We don't want to commute very far, I want our business to be part of the community where we will live. Although I don't have small children, a family oriented, friendly area, with good old fashioned values is what I would like. The only thing I'm worried about is the heat in the summer- is it tolerable? Does it cool down in the evening? Thanks everyone!

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating to open new restaurant

Wow...you probably could not pick two places that are so different in weather. We came to the Carolina's (Tega Cay, SC...apx. 20 mins. south of Charlotte) close to 2 years ago from Southern Califoria (LB). My husband is originally from Portland, while I was born in AZ but most of the time was spent in CA. My point being is...we were in no way use to the humidity...we prepared for the worst...and were pleasantly surprised...oh sure it does get warm and muggy during the summer...but all in all it really is not as bad as we thought it was going to be (of course a/c does help alot). My parents who I moved out here from CA...did not have a problem with it either. Now if you were to ask my M.I.L. (who is from Portland) what it was like during July when she came to visit us.....she will have a whole different story for you :o) Sorry I have not been to the Cary area..but I have heard it is nice. Good luck with your search!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating to open new restaurant

You're right Lovetecaysc, Oregon and NC are very different weatherwise. We are looking into Portland because it doesn't seem so far away. (I have an older daughter that will be staying in SD) But homepricing is better in NC. Which makes it a little less risky for us if we can just buy our home out-right. We will be taking trips to both places. I also have 2 dogs and 2cats that we will be relocating with. We would probably drive, because Iwouldn't dare put my animals on a plane. Heard too many bad things. Anyone have any experience with moving cross country with animals?

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating to open new restaurant

sorry...just me again :o) we ended up having our dog and cat fly over on the plane. They both did fine...although on our transfer out here we missed our flight...but the animals did not and were to arrive in NC before us. I was a nervous wreck...after a lot of checking with various sources throughout the airport...we were told everything would be just fine...of course that really did little to put myself at ease. Once we landed we rushed to the location where they told us they would be (lost luggage). As I approched I could see a woman sitting on the ground, facing toward the door. She seem to be speaking to someone but I could not see. Once we went inside..we found out who her companions were. There was our dog and cat inside their cages...looking very peaceful...as this woman (employee of the airlines) spoke to them. She said they had done real good and she was just keeping them company until we arrived. For me, her kindness just re-affirmed that the decision we had made to move to the Carolina's was the definitely the right one.

Where ever you decide to go...I wish you all the best!

Wake Forest, nc
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating to open new restaurant

Restaurant options are getting better in Raleigh but not as much as you would think. Seems like chain restaurants rule here... Moes came to town and that was the big talk for months... lol.

I have a family member who is a chef - and they can't even consider moving to Raleigh b/c there isn't a restaurant that is even NEAR his caliber - so please be careful.

I'd love to see another seafood restaurant in Raleigh though.. Red Lobster is getting kinda old..

It is hot here in the summer but everybody has air so I wouldn't worry... This past summer it was really, really hot.. broke all kinds of records for # of days 90 and above.. I think it was 75 days. No, it really doesn't get cool in the evenings in the summer. But it would be great to eat outside ! It stays hot all the time in the evenings.. I grew up in PA and by late summer we wore light sweaters in the evening..not so here.. it is October and I am still using my Air...

Jupiter,Fl
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocating to open new restaurant

HI SD to NC,

I lived 24 years in SD, North County, Encinitas mostly. Moved to Florida in 2000 for family reasons. I am ready to leave Florida and recently took a trip to the Chapel Hill area to explore the possibility of moving there. I've actually been telling other California's that it reminds me quite a bit of Oregon....mostly due to all the trees and greenary.

I loved it there. It all depends on what you are looking for. I like health foods store and casual comfortable living with a strong sense of community, environment, diversity and progressive attutudes. Everyone was very warm-hearted and friendly there.

I dont know anything about the restaurant business, other than I like a lot of variety to choose from. There seemed to be plenty of that. There are also 3 major college/universities there, thus lots of young people always needing to eat!!!

Check out www.northcarolinatravels.com. A web-site by a local that did a number of restaurant bio's, including their local history.

The weather is humid in the summer, but after 5 years in Florida Ive grown fairly accustomed to it. As noted above the nights do not dip down like in SD. San Diego is a special place that is hard to beat, weather wise!!

Come and check it out. I peferr'd NC over Oregon, because it does get warmer and its a lot closer to FL! I am staying in Florida to enjoy the winter season and hope to move to NC in April/May!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
14 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocating to open new restaurant

As far as location goes, I would avoid the suburban cities you mentioned. Way too many chains, along with somewhat provincial attitudes. There are quite a few upscale independent restaurants in the Durham and Raleigh areas. Be aware there is a large, and growing population of sophisticated diners. If your restaurant doesn't catch on, it will quickly disappear.