We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new year's in raleigh

Chicago, IL
8 posts
Save Topic
new year's in raleigh

My husband and I are going to be in Raleigh, North Carolina 12/30 thru 1/2 and dont know what area to find a hotel in. We want to be within walking distance or short cab ride of night life and other things to do.

Thank You

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new year's in raleigh

rex - I'm sorry that no one has responded to your post. I live in Chapel Hill and am not familiar with Raleigh "night life"....gee, I'm not really familiar with it here in my own city! However, Raleigh's a fairly big town and you might not be able to find a hotel that's within walking distance/short cab ride to night life. Raleigh is nothing like Chicago, which can be a walking/cabbing town downtown.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: new year's in raleigh

I almost responded about the circular Holiday Inn that IS within walking distance of downtown, but it's been a couple of years since I've been to downtown Raleigh and I don't know if it's still a Holiday Inn or called something else. It looks pretty cool, and I think there might be a restaurant at the top? Not sure, don't quote me!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
30 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new year's in raleigh

Rex1

Please check out the Sheraton Hotel in Raleigh near the Capitol. This will be a good "Inside the Beltline" location. You can find it at www.starwood.com. The hotel is located on Salisbury Street.

Glenwood South is not too far away. The downtown trolley would probably be working that evening and could take you to the hotspotsl. Also, a taxi cab ride would only be about 5 to 7 minute ride to this area.

There are some places in city market which would be within walking district. The city has a huge new year's eve night and that is within walking distance. There may be something at the convention center which is right there at the Sheraton. The Sheraton usually hosts its own party, too.

Most people come to the ITB area/Glenwood South area so staying in this area would be best. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of hotels here yet, but they are working on that. I would not recommend the Holiday Inn. It's going through a renovation, but still not sure how nice it is.

Thanks, Leigh

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new year's in raleigh

The round Holiday Inn is still there, as well as the Sheritan. These are both class A hotels, and are probably not very cheap. But the Sheritan is right dead smack in the middle of the action, easy to walk to any kind of entertainment....or catch the trolley or a bus. Probably your best pick as far as location. Also, it's very close to First Night, which is the huge New Years celebration in Raleigh.

Chicago, IL
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: new year's in raleigh

Thank you everyone for your advice I appreciate it and we have now decided to stay at the Sheraton downtown.