We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocation advice - Raleigh vs. Charlotte

Naples, FL
6 posts
Save Topic
Relocation advice - Raleigh vs. Charlotte

Hi, folks. My husband and I are hoping to relocate in 2007. We've been living in Naples, FL for 10 years and are looking for a much younger place to live. Believe me, it is beautiful here, but not much to do for 30-somethings and younger.

We've just started reseraching the area and plan on visiting in December. Is anyone familiar with Shea Homes, and if so, what success have you had with them? Specifically, we're looking at homes in the $350-$425 range and prefer new. Shea happens to have a few plans we love, but we know nothing about them. Any information would be helpful.

Also, what are the pros/cons of Raleigh as compared with Charlotte, NC -- demographics, things to do, job market, etc.?

I am a teacher and my husband is self-employed, but looking to work for a company (most likely in the technical field).

Any information you can provide us with would be much appreciated!

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Relocation advice - Raleigh vs. Charlotte

I have lived in both Raleigh and Charlotte, and Raleigh is hands down the place for me, but it sounds like the opposite for you. Both are exceptionally great places to live. Raleigh has more of a large town atmosphere and Charlotte is more of a city. If youare bored in Naples, you will really be bored in Raleigh. That doesn't matter as much to me- I am more concerned about finding a great place to raise a family and low rat-race factor. Charlotte's traffice is tough, but nothing compared to Atlanta, Tampa-St Pete, Palm Beach/Broward/Dade or Orlando. I haven't been to Naples for about 10 years, so I don't know the traffic situation there.

In any event, I would look at South Charlotte/South Park or if you look toward Raleigh, try Chapel Hill. You might have overlooked Wilmingtion NC which is waterfront, full of restaurants and entertainment. From what it sounds like, that might be the place for you.

the real NY
1 post
Save Reply
22. Re: Relocation advice - Raleigh vs. Charlotte

As everyone talks about getting out of the rat race of the Northeast on this board (hey, me too, that is why I am here), I can't help but wonder........when the great migration comes to these cities in NC, the rat race and everything associated with it, is usually soon to follow!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Relocation advice - Raleigh vs. Charlotte

I have read all of these posts with great interest. I understand from what people have been saying that Raleigh is a little spread out so that there is no one central "downtown" area, but I wondered if there was a "central" i.e., in the middle of everything, close to shops and restaurants, etc. location. (or would Cary be considered to fit this description? I understand that it is more crowded and you don't get as much house for your money there, wasn't sure if this was because it was more "urban" or just because it was crowded.)

For example, I have been searching online to get an idea of home prices, but am unfamiliar with the names of particular neighborhoods. Can anyone assist me in this regard? My SO and I are early 30s and don't plan on having children so schools or school districts do not factor into the decision.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Marshall, North...
Level Contributor
384 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Relocation advice - Raleigh vs. Charlotte

Are you headed out of NO too? I lived in Slidell and left for North Carolina about a year ago. I live right outside of Asheville. Its smaller than Raleigh and Charlotte. I was looking for more of a small town feel and Iove the mountains.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Relocation advice - Raleigh vs. Charlotte

Hey! My aunt and uncle are retiring in Asheville, they already bought a house and everything. I'm just considering options for places where I'm not afraid to walk around at night and where I don't have to evacuate for hurricanes!

Any assistance re: neighborhoods would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Marshall, North...
Level Contributor
384 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Relocation advice - Raleigh vs. Charlotte

Yea, its really a shame. We flooded and my old neighborhood really never came back. It still looks horrible. I love it here in Asheville its wonderful!! I dont know much about Charlotte or Raleigh but anything is an improvement. Good luck!!

27. Re: Relocation advice - Raleigh vs. Charlotte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:51 pm, March 06, 2007