We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House Hunting in Triangle Area

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
House Hunting in Triangle Area

Hello. We visited the triangle area (Chapel Hill, Durham,Morrisville and Carrboro) last fall. Nice areas. We are returning for a 2nd visit the last week of July and want to visit the southern, eastern and northern areas surrounding Raleigh. this visit we would like to visit some of the Model homes in various communities. Does anyone know if they require appointments? We are a younger retiring couple with 2 girls in college. Health care is important to us. We are looking for a little more property than our congested community here in NJ (currently our lots avg 100 X 200, without giving up the comforts of shopping, entertainment and neighbors. Anyone have any suggestions on where we would get the most "property" with our new home in the triangle area? We are looking for a new home, we enjoy golf, swimming, walking and church activities. Also, does anyone live in those "planned communitites" or Puds I have read about? Thanks!

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: House Hunting in Triangle Area

Any suggestions on communities that offer larger lots than the average small lots I keep reading about? We are trying to keep the home cost under $250,000. Can be new or recently built. Thanks!

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: House Hunting in Triangle Area

NJZoomers - I wish someone could/would answer your question. I live in Chapel Hill and know absolutely nothing about communities in Raleigh. Have you checked any home buying/selling websites? That might give you some insight.

In general, health care is good in this area. I know that Raleigh has two big health care systems, Rex and Wake. I do know that some parts of the triangle are getting increasingly congested...just be sure that you are not moving into what you are attempting to get away from.

Is employment location a factor in where you place to relocate? Or, are you both retired?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: House Hunting in Triangle Area

Many of the new subdivisions in Raleigh lack sidewalks. If you want to walk, you would have to walk along the shoulder of the neighborhood street. Some developments (i.e. Falls River off of Durant Road) have sidewalks that you can walk on. Just search for Falls River in Raleigh for more information.

You will not need an appointment to view most of the model homes here in the Raleigh. What type of house do you want to live in (townhouse or single family home) and what shopping do you want to be near (grocery stores or Saks Fifth Ave)? Are you looking to live in a golf community?

Wake Forest, nc
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: House Hunting in Triangle Area

There is a 50 or so neighborhood in North Raleigh.. off Falls of Neuse.. practically in Wake Forest called Dalton's Ridge or something like that. The detached homes are all brick, one story and a good size. The location is convenient to N. Raleigh shopping, doctors, medical and 2 major malls. I believe everything is included - exterior home maintenance, lawn work, etc. There isn't a pool or tennis.. but the upscale YMCA is only a mile or two up the road and has many activites for all age groups and skill levels.

The model home communities are generally open every weekday and weekends. Often, the homes available for sale are unlocked and available to tour.

I have some friends living in Bedford and they love it. The homes are new but are built with older type floor plans.. big front porches, sidewalks, etc.

good luck.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: House Hunting in Triangle Area

Thank you all for your posts! We are beginning our search in the North end of Raleigh. It seems to be less crowded and more of what we are looking for. I think an established neighborhood would better suit our needs. Employment is not a critical issue, as we will both be semi retired. We are fairly sure we still want a one family home (ranch or small 2 story) at this time. We just would like a little more space. We do golf, and a golf community would be interesting. A pool is not as important, and if a YMCA is nearby, then all is well. Thanks again. Any other suggestions welcome!

NY
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: House Hunting in Triangle Area

You might want to looke at Wakefield Plantation, a lovely master planned comunity built around a PGA golf course..and yes there is a YWCA...this is my future retirement community