We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to find a gluten-free meal in or near Raleigh?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
places to find a gluten-free meal in or near Raleigh?

If you have any experience with finding gluten-free meals in the Raleigh area - good or bad - I'd like to hear about it. My family, including 2 celiacs, will be in the Raleigh area for 10 days soon, so all pointers welcome! (including where to shop for GF items)

Carolina BBQ and pizza of particular interest to us!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to find a gluten-free meal in or near Raleigh?

We have Whole Foods here, so I know they have gluten free shopping. Otherwise I am at a loss regarding restaurants. Any help you can give us on info on a gluten free diet? Does that mean no wheat only?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places to find a gluten-free meal in or near Raleigh?

"Gluten-free" means no wheat, rye or barley, and not cooked in a way that would contaminate it. For example, french fries - i.e. potatoes fried in hot oil - are fine, but if someobdy cooks onion rings or fried chicken with a wheat flour coating in the same oil with the fries, then the french fries would be contaminated. Unfortunately, when you're celiac, it takes only a trace amount of gluten to make you sick. Generally, our best bet is a place where where they start with fresh ingredients and the chef cares about the food - and that doesn't always mean a fancy or expensive place. A friend of a friend said there's a place in Raleigh that makes pizza with a rice flour crust, but couldn't remember the name of it - I'd love to find it!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to find a gluten-free meal in or near Raleigh?

Hmm. I don't know about the rice flour crust pizza, but I do have some suggestions.

In Raleigh there are lots of great restaurants that cook with fresh ingredients, although many are higher end. Buying from the local growers, etc.

There is a great middle eastern place near NCSU called Neomonde. Fresh ingredients, great and good prices.

Irregardless - started out as a "health food" place years ago, but now serves meat, but very good, fresh food, lots of great veggies. Killer bean burger. THey would also be very clear to you if you had questions about preparation of certain dishes.

Third Place coffee house is vegetarian, but has great fresh food and incredible coffee. Sosta, a little cafe downtown in the Progress Energy building, has a wonderful menu, with fresh ingredients (mostly sandwiches and salads, some vegetarian) served with cous cous salad and nice italian bean salad, rather than fries or chips. THey are across from Coopers, the oldest/best BBQ in Raliegh, which I love, but there kitchen is small and southern and may be iffy for celiacs.

Other places that I know prepare carefully and, if nothing else, could be clear to you about how each dish would be prepared:

VIn - high end, but incredible

Riviera -high end, again. But best fries in town.

J. Betski's -polish/german -but great attention to sources and preparation

Zely & Ritz - tapas/small plates - again, high end, but they have their own farm and Serig, the chef, would be more than happy to find something that any celiac could eat from his menu, I am sure.

How about sushi? Waraji is THE place to go for that.

I have tried to think of places where I know, if nothing else, the staff could be clear with you regarding source and preparation. I have a good friend that is not celiac, but similar and keeps a mostly macrobiotic diet. He may have some recommendations. I know there is a chef in Raleigh who will deliver macrobiotic meals for you.

Maybe others will have suggestions and I will think more about it.

MA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: places to find a gluten-free meal in or near Raleigh?

Did you go on your trip yet? We are going in July. My daughter has cleaic. For now I'm planning on checking out Whole FOods and Outback Steakhouse.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to find a gluten-free meal in or near Raleigh?

We arrive in Raleigh July 4th - I'm doing some advance planning now.

Is your daughter headed toward Camp Kanata?

VaNC - thanks for the great list of places! more ideas would be welcome, too!

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places to find a gluten-free meal in or near Raleigh?

If you Google search "Celiacs Disease Chapel Hill NC" you will get a local support site. It contains a restaurant list and where to shop throughout the whole Triangle area.

The address is www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/8672/. Best of Luck. My sister has Celiacs and I have discovered how difficult it can be to accomodate.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: places to find a gluten-free meal in or near Raleigh?

I emailed my friend and didn't get much you haven't already been told and it looks like that website should be a huge help.

Is your child going to Kanata? My daughter went there last year. She loved it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: places to find a gluten-free meal in or near Raleigh?

Oh, yes, we're headed for the gluten-free week at Camp Kanata. But since we couldn't send the 7 year old cross-country solo, Mom and Dad will be spending a few days in Raleigh, and hoping find some interesting local places to dine.

Still hoping for a hot tip on Carolina BBQ!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: places to find a gluten-free meal in or near Raleigh?

For BBQ, the most authentic (still cooks with wood) is Allen and Sons in Durham. In Raleigh, I think the best is Coopers downtown. They make a mean fried chicken too. These will fill your need, but the best barbecue is in smaller towns down east (eastern style) or in Lexington,N.C. (western style...yuk).

If you want a night of fun/bbq/music and to be home by 11, try Hideaway BBQ. It is a place that serves decent bbq and ribs, has great music that starts at 8:30, for all us who can't stay up late anymore. It is on Capital Blvd in a wierd location, but a relaxed place to hang out.

NC
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: places to find a gluten-free meal in or near Raleigh?

I don't know about Gluten-free but if you are in Raleigh the BEST NC barbeque is at Barbeque Lodge off Capital Blvd. in the Mini-City shopping center..they also have stuff like southern banana pudding (made just right and sooo fresh!), fried chicken, all the fixin's, hushpuppies, and lots of other good stuff (oh and the sweet tea is oh so good!) I don't know about glutten free pizza cause i just really eat whatever they make it from (LOL) but Casalinga has real good food (in Mini-City just a few doors down from Barbeque Lodge) and I heard that a place in Cameron Village called Picollo Italia is good too but I personally never ate there before..just some co-workers giving some tips.