We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in 2 days in NC?

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in 2 days in NC?

I'm arriving in Raleigh, NC for work and thought I would fly in on Friday and spend the weekend checking out the site. I'm more interested in historical and scenic sites - less interested in the city since I live in one myself.

Can someone please recommend a "top 10" list of sites to see? I'll have a rental car and I'd like to stay within 2 hours of Raleigh...

Please help, I went to the NC website but it wasn't too much help.

North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
Natural History Museums, Science Museums
Marbles Kids Museum
Children's Museums, History Museums, Science Museums
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in 2 days in NC?

Well, actually most of the historical stuff is in the city. The old state capital, the governor's mansion, Oakwood Neighborhood (Victorian houses), Mordecai Plantation Park, etc. Plus the Museum of History.

As far as scenic, there's Umstead State Park, Eno River State Park, and Jordan Lake. Also the NCSU Arboretum or Duke Gardens (& Chapel) could qualify.

Which "NC website" are you referring to? Was it visitnc.com? Cuz that's usually the most useful one.

Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in 2 days in NC?

Chapel Hill has a planetarium and is close. I realize you wanted to stay close but the Biltmore House in Asheville is worth the drive. Asheville is 4 hours from Raleigh and is located in the mountains of North Carolina. If you like furniture you will pass through or close to Hickory and High Point which both have an excellent reputation for quality furniture. (only have to go to one location in either city to look at the furniture. ) Asheville is also a free spirit artsy town in the mountains and is a fun place to visit. If you only have one day I would visit the Biltmore House instead of the museums local state parks..........

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in 2 days in NC?

If you are interested in visiting the coast, Wilmington and the Ft. Fisher is rich in Civil War history. Fort Fisher was the last fort to withstand the Union army assault to shut the port of Wilmington down. You can also visit the aquarium and beach while there. It is an easy drive down I-40 in about 1.5 hours.

Bath, NC is our state's first town is an easy drive down US 264 in about 1.5 hours. It is a small but scenic town on the Pamlico River. Downtown Washington (Little Washington) has a great waterfront and boardwalk to view marsh wildlife.

Edenton on the Albemarle River is nice, but I have not been there yet.

4. Re: What to do in 2 days in NC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 02, 2009
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor