We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pinehurst resort vacation August 2006

Which Pinehurst hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pinehurst resort vacation August 2006

We are a family of four, including 2 kids, 15 and 12; 3 of us are golfers. We are considering a week's visit to Pinehurst in latter half of August (week of 21st or 28th). My husband is a serious golfer, and we are indulging him for his birthday. First, can we expect decent weather or all rain? We plan to stay in a condo; anyone have comments? Any other advice? Other possibility is a resort in northern New Hampshire.

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pinehurst resort vacation August 2006

You don't say where you plan to play golf. Are you staying on a golf package? Which courses will you play. August is HOT! Best to play very early unless you really enjoy baking in the afternoon sun with temps in the 90s. Plus late afternoons at that time of year present the best chance of thunderstorms.

If you are staying at Pinehurst Resort and Country Club, your package will include breakfast and dinner each day and golf (the country club has 8 courses to choose from) and you'll be able to use the other facilities including pools, marina and beach. If you're staying on a golf package in a condo or motel, you'll still have lots of golf courses to choose from (but not the 8 courses at Pinehurst Resort) and no pool unless you're staying at one of the few motels with a pool.

I don't know anything about New Hampshire but my husband and I have lived in Pinehurst for 15 wonderful years having moved here from Baltimore. I'd be happy to respond to other questions. I check the forum frequently.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pinehurst resort vacation August 2006

We go down to Pinehurst occasionally for the Spa - not to golf. It is a lovely, quiet, and relaxing area. But for us, it's a weekend trip. I can't imagine spending a week there unless all you want to do is golf or maybe attend an equestrian event. I'm not sure kids would enjoy it very much for a week. That part of the state has a few quaint shops and the NC Zoo is drivable, but other than that, there's not that much to do there. Best wishes.

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pinehurst resort vacation August 2006

I live in Pinehurst as well and would be glad to answer any of your questions. A serious golfer would enjoy it here for a week and non golfer will most likely get bored for that long. There is an antique town a few miles away that you could spend a day antiquing in, but for the non-golfer a week is a long time. If you are staying at the Pinehurst Resort there are pools and other things availabe to the non-golfers in your group. August is a very hot month here and there are some afternoon thunderstorms, but they it is really hit or miss on each day. I don't think you would be rained out by any means. The Pinehurst Spa is very nice (for the non-golfers, if adults), in my opinion one of the best you will find, but you also pay for it, it is not cheap.

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pinehurst resort vacation August 2006

we are going this weekend for the long weekend. Please letm eknow what to expect. I will be spending sat at the spa from 11 - 3pm. any recomendations would be great.

thanks

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pinehurst resort vacation August 2006

we are going this weekend for the long weekend. Please letm eknow what to expect. I will be spending sat at the spa from 11 - 3pm. any recomendations would be great.

thanks

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pinehurst resort vacation August 2006

It is supposed to be hot this weekend. Where are you staying? What are you looking to do other than golf? The Hot Stone Massage at the Spa is fantastic, well worth the $.

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pinehurst resort vacation August 2006

we aregoing to be at Pinehurst - the carolina.

i made some arrangements today to go to the spa on Sat.

and was wondering what else there is to do, bike to the lake? hoe much are rentals?

what else is there to do?

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pinehurst resort vacation August 2006

The lake is nice, I have never biked out there so I don't know how much rentals would be. There are some nice shops in the village (walking distance from the Carolina). If you like antiques, go to Cameron (about 15 minute drive) and antique shops line both sides of the street. There is an Oyster Bar/Seafood restaurant (they also have chicken and steak) it is named Shuckers, it is really good and on Saturday night they have a band outside on their covered patio. It is nice, you can eat and listen to the band. Also, try Dugan's Pub in the village (again, walking distance from the Carolina) nice place to eat or have a drink. The area is really catered to golfers, so activites are limited for the non golfer.

Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
967 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pinehurst resort vacation August 2006

Staying at the Carolina in August and am interested in this "biking the lake"--anyone have more info on that or where I can look?

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pinehurst resort vacation August 2006

This might be helpful: pinehurst.com/resort_beach_club.asp

Also check out pinehurst.com and click on recreation. They have activities divided by age groups...they thought of everything.

Get answers to your questions about Pinehurst