We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning an anniversary weekend at Ocracoke

Richmond, Virginia...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
planning an anniversary weekend at Ocracoke

Hi,

I am planning an anniversary weekend for me and the Misses and the idea of going to Ocracoke popped up. She's never been and I haven't been since I was a teenager (so about 15 years ago) and my family would only go on short trips to the island as a part of our Nags Head family vacations. We found a great little inexpensive place ( Edwards of Ocracoke ) and now i'm just trying to find some things to do while we're there. We are looking to go in July, probably toward the end of the month. Any suggestions for places to go/things to do and supplies we might not think about bringing with us???

thanks!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning an anniversary weekend at Ocracoke

Edwards is a good choice. There is kayak rental on Silver lake You can go Parasailing . Find your way to Springers Point nature walk Also known as Black Beard's hide out . Portmouth Island tour . Go to Smacnally's about 4 to see the off shore catch coming in. Head to the end of the Big parking lot next to Silver Lake to watch the Sun Set. Rent bikes or bring them . The best way to get around, There is also Golf cart rental available too.

There are the Poniey pen north of the Village also a good place to go to the beach . No life guards this year but the public beach is just about a mile north from the village. You can also rent a 4x4 to drive on the beach.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning an anniversary weekend at Ocracoke

I would also add-enjoy a cup of coffee at the Coffee Company on Back Road-short walk if you do stay at Edwards and afternoon drinks on the deck at Zillies, also on Back Road.

Diajio, Gaffers, Jolly Roger, and sometimes Howard's usually have a live band in the evenings.

Lots of shops, galleries, and restaurants to choose from.

For a very nice meal think about Diajio, Back Porch, or Flying Melon. For casual try Jolly Roger (mainly for the view), Howards (go up on the top deck to check out the view), Gaffers, and Jasons.

July is a nice time to visit-but bring some bug spray for the beach.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planning an anniversary weekend at Ocracoke

It''s actually Dajio with one "i". It's an acronym of Doug And Judy In Ocracoke.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: planning an anniversary weekend at Ocracoke

I realize that-I missed the typo.

Richmond, Virginia...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: planning an anniversary weekend at Ocracoke

hey thanks everybody, I appreciate the insight and suggestions! When I mentioned it to my mom she said that there wasn't much to do on the island, which is why I planned for only a 3 day trip, but it seems like there is a fair bit to do and see. but, honestly, I think i'm just looking forward to the relaxation of it all :)

thanks again and if anyone else has any thoughts or suggests I am still taking notes!

Ocracoke, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: planning an anniversary weekend at Ocracoke

Tale of Blackbeard will be every Monday night at the community center, the lighthouse is usually open in july to walk up, clamming is super fun, and live music every night at Gaffers Sports Pub.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: planning an anniversary weekend at Ocracoke

There are lifeguards this year nps.gov/caha/parknews/2014-lifeguard-service…

Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: planning an anniversary weekend at Ocracoke

Live shows a few nights a week at Deepwater Theater. Molasses Creek lives on Ocracoke & has received national recognition. Take one of the early evening Ghost Walks (Tues or Thursday). Not sure when your anniversary is, but if you don't have school age children, May is a lovely time to visit. Jasmine is blooming & the weather is in the 70's. Summer can be very hot there.

9. Re: planning an anniversary weekend at Ocracoke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 05, 2015