We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay?

Calvert County, MD
3 posts
Save Topic
where to stay?

My husband and I will be traveling with our extended family to Duck for a week in October. One day, just the two are us are planning on escaping to Ocracoke for the night. We have never been there but we would like to explore the town and then go to dinner and end up at a bar. Can anyone suggest a decent hotel that is within walking distance of a bar?

Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay?

Everything is within walking distance on Ocracoke! If you want a very upscale B&B-type experience with your husband, try the Castle on Silver Lake. Each room is unique and it's got a very cool history, and awesome breakfast. If you want to stay in a less-expensive place with a great location, check out the Silver Lake Motel and Inn. It is located right across the street from the Jolly Roger, which sits right on the water in the harbor. Howard's is the place to go for a bar, but check out Dajio for dinner.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay?

As obxmaslin shared-everything is within walking distance. You can also rent a bike or golf cart to get around quicker. Our most favorite place to stay is The Ocracoke Harbor Inn.

It is right next to the Castle. Nice, clean, affordable with a lovely dock on the harbor. Some other favorites of people we know include The Pony Island and Blackbeards-both within walking distance to all the fun.

October is a great time to visit Ocracoke!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay?

There is lots to chose from for staying, Might I suggest Pony Island inn Centrally located . Close to Howard's pub where every one usually ends up at when out enjoying Adult beverages. also close to Gaffer's Sports Pub another late nite spot. I find A lot of people follow the entertainment around Starting at Jolly Rodgers or Dajio's then heading to Gaffers or Howard's as they tend to stay open later .

Just a warning if you are caught driving a golf cart ofter having some adult drink you are subject to the same rules as driving any motorized vehicle. Bicycles are a good choice to see the island . And if you would like to take a nature walk to Teaches Hole at Springers point a bike is the best way as there is no parking there and a long walk to the closest parking . Get a little education on Black Beard the Pirate. Ocracoke was his hide out if your into that kind of thing .

Bikes are available in many places for rent .

Dayton, Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay?

It's hard to go wrong on Ocracoke. A recent favorite of mine is Pam's Pelican B&B. Basic, but clean, friendly, and an excellent breakfast. You really can walk almost anywhere, but their loaner bikes will get you everywhere faster.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay?

My wife and I just returned from a short trip to Ocracoke (Oct 16-18, 2013) and a drive up the Cape to Nags Head. We spent the first night in Ocracoke at the Silver Lake Hotel and DON'T STAY THERE! It's in the running for the most run-down hotel we've EVER stayed in. Bed springs creaking so bad we thought they were falling apart. A egg-crate on the mattress to hide who knows what. Lights out all over the place. Just a tired old, rundown, hotel.

The next night in Nags Head was at the Surf Side and a whole 'nother experience. A great place to stay.

6. Re: where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 20, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke