We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are staying on S. Nags Head, need Ocracoke advice........

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
We are staying on S. Nags Head, need Ocracoke advice........

I had heard Ocracoke was pretty close to Nags Head and that we could do Ghost tours in the evening on this island. I was wondering if Ocracoke was actually close and which ghost tour to go on with my wife? Thanks in advance. FYI, we are staying at S. Nags Head from August 10-17th.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We are staying on S. Nags Head, need Ocracoke advice........

Figure two and a half hours each way assuming good ferry connections without delays. You might want to consider spending the day and staying overnight on Ocracoke. It is a different experience (in my opinion) than the rest of the Outer Banks. After you get off the ferry you drive about 15 miles to the town with nothing but beautiful deserted beaches on your left. The town itself is compact and easily walkable. I don't know about the ghost tours, but there are some good restaurants (e.g., Dajio, Back Porch) and you can catch a Molasses Creek show there during those dates (even though they are in Greenville on the 18th!).

http://www.molassescreek.com/shows.cfm

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We are staying on S. Nags Head, need Ocracoke advice........

Didn't realize it was that far. I guess we will be skipping Ocracoke this time, thanks for the heads up!!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We are staying on S. Nags Head, need Ocracoke advice........

Here is the link for the History and Ghost tours on Ocracoke-for future reference.

http://villagecraftsmen.com/historywalk.htm

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We are staying on S. Nags Head, need Ocracoke advice........

It is a little over an hour to the ferry and your adventure begins So it really isn't that far .You will enjoy the Ghost tour It is a walking tour of the village given by Philip Howard who has been a life long resident there , If your into Ghost story's it is well worth the trip. Go Early and enjoy the Island history. It was The hide out for Black Beard the Pirate, Do a little research on him .. and the history of Ocracoke , You will be glad you did.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We are staying on S. Nags Head, need Ocracoke advice........

From Nags Head it's about 1.5 hrs to the ferry and then about 40 min ferry ride to the island, then another 15 min ride to the town on the island. The ferry runs every half hour. It makes for a nice day trip and you can stop at Bodie Lighthouse, Hatteras Lighthouse and other places on the way to the ferry.

6. Re: We are staying on S. Nags Head, need Ocracoke advice........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke
Recent Conversations