We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me !

Waterford...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help me !

Hi, I am thinking about Outer Banks for vacation next summer w kids....never been there and I need some good honest advice on where to spend a week..not too expensive....we have 4 kids. they love the water and dont need all the frills most kids need!! thanks!!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me !

If you looking for a laid back quiet and little frills Ocracoke might be your place , No rentals on the beach here but there are some on the sound side, The beach is just a short drive from town and if you have 4 wheel drive it will be even better but not necessary.

You can find some homes for around $1000 a week if you look early,.

Lots of history here as well as things to do, Look up Black Beard the pirate his hide out was Ocracoke. It was and still is a fishing village with plenty of good food and water sports,, If you have never done it try para sailing, great views and good fun, kayak and bike rental too, If you have bikes brig them it is the best way to get around

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me !

We hear this question weekly it seems and really, there is no one better place than another. They are different, but I doubt you will go to any place here that you will just hate. Getting to some areas is a lot easier, but all have beach, sand and water. If you are not looking for frills then anyplace is going to suit you. If you don't mind an extra hour or so then Hatteras or Corolla are open for you. Corolla and cheap don't really go together so that one might be one to skip. Kitty Hawk and South Nags Head should be on the list to look at since they have smaller lower priced homes near the beach.

Edited: 1:57 pm, September 18, 2011
Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me !

Maybe you might find something here:

outerbanks.org/accommodations/accommodation_…

ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me !

We took our two daughters to the Buxton area from age 3 to adulthood. They loved it with the ocean on one side and the sound on the other. They didn't care anything about fast food, movies, shopping or the typical tourist activities though. If you want to do more than fish, beach comb or swim in the sound, you may want to consider something in Nags Head.

NJ
Level Contributor
37 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me !

WE have stayed in Salvo, Avon and Ocracoke. We love the villages on Hatteras Island because it is pretty quiet and the beaches are great. We also like staying there because we can rent an oceanfront home.

We have begun to combine our 1 week Hatteras Island stay with a 1 week Ocracoke stay. The above poster is correct....if you book now, there are plenty of homes to rent for around $1000 a week. Ocracoke is a totally differetn 'feel' than Hatteras...we love that the kids can ride bikes around the island and the lifeguarded beach is really terrific.

They love the coffee shop. Springers Point, the surf shop and other stores and just being able to explore. It's safe and really scenic and quiet.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me !

I would recommend Hatteras Island or Ocracoke. I find both far quieter and much less crowded than the northern part of the OBX. There are still some modestly priced cottages in Frisco and Hatteras village that are a short walk from the beach. But the village feel of Ocracoke mentioned in some of the posts above is a really nice feature.

maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me !

My 3 boys love Ocracoke and dont seem to get bored with beach, fishing and riding bikes around the island. We also like kayaking and parasailing and the boat to Portsmouth. We always stay on the water at Horizons- a little pricier than some Ocracoke places but not compared to the rest of the world!

8. Re: Help me !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke