We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get good golf and tennis in?"

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
75 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Where to get good golf and tennis in?"

Trying to finalize plans in Ocracoke w/ 2 11 yr. old boys and to be sure I'm accommating Dad, need to find somewhere to go to for good golf and tennis, if even after this stay, further south possibly. Thank you! Susan

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to get good golf and tennis in?"

The closest golf to Ocracoke would be Nags Head Links in Nags Head. That would be a good haul from Ocracoke. I've never played Nags Head Links because it looks a bit like target golf to me and i'm a little on the wild side.

My favorite courses are The Carolina Club, Kilmarlic and The Pointe - all of them are on the mainland before you cross the Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge.

I don't know anything about tennis though.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
75 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to get good golf and tennis in?"

Thank you! Is the Wright Bro bridge to the north of obx? Is there anything to the south of Ocracoke~like near the Cedar Pte ferry? I was thinking we could stay somewhere for a couple of days on our way in or out of Oc.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to get good golf and tennis in?"

You might look towards Morehead City or Emerald isle they have some then you can head north Via Ceder island ferry to Ocracoke .

nccoastchamber.com/carteret-golf-courses.php

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to get good golf and tennis in?"

Morehead City CC is a very fun course to play but would be a haul from Cedar Island. There is also North River north of Beaufort which is closer and a bit much of a challenge in my opinion. I think I would just pass on golf altogether.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
75 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to get good golf and tennis in?"

Yes I agree re golf and tennis. Now to just figure out where to stay for sure and how to get there w/out a day of jet lag!

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
75 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to get good golf and tennis in?"

Does anyone have a preference on coming from Norfolk vs. New Bern? We are looking at mid week arrival and departure so am wondering if Norfolk on down wouldn't be too bad? Airfares cheaper but I don't know about travel time through obx.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to get good golf and tennis in?"

Not sure of the air fares but travel wise I think Norfolk would be your closest destination to the Outer Banks and fastest too

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to get good golf and tennis in?"

Yes, the Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge is the northern access point to the Outer Banks. You come in right between Southern Shores and Kill Devil Hills.

I've never come onto the Outer Banks from the south.

9. Re: Where to get good golf and tennis in?"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, October 27, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke
Recent Conversations