We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AWD on beaches

New Hampshire
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
AWD on beaches

I have read about 4WD on the beaches and lowering the air pressure. What about AWD, like a Subaru Outback? It's not a 4x4 truck but has All Wheel Drive.

Looking forward to our July vacation....

Thanks.

Lou

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AWD on beaches

AWD "may" be OK if you air down. However, you still have a better than average chance of getting stuck. Just depends on how deep the sand is. That is something that cannot be avoided until you are in it.

We noticed last summer on our several trips that the sand seemed to be very deep in parts-more so than usual. We have never gotten stuck but had a couple close calls with our 4WD Explorer. I would have a shovel and a piece of wood in the car as well as the number of the tow company-just to be safe.

New Hampshire
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: AWD on beaches

Thanks for the info. I think we'll just keep the Subaru on the pavement.

-Lou

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AWD on beaches

You can pull off the side of the road and walk over to the beach or park in several of the public parking areas.

Have a wonderful trip!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AWD on beaches

I have seen a lot of Subaru's on the beach that did well I had a Rav 4 once and it too did very well. Just be selective with where you drive and avoid the deep ruts.. Low tide is a good time as you can run to the hard sand and drive on that .

However if the Defenders of the wild life get their way we will have little to drive on in the future .

You should do fine . there is always some one that will help you too so enjoy the beach .

5. Re: AWD on beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 am, February 01, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke