We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House rental on Ocracoke

Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
House rental on Ocracoke

We are looking into renting a house for a week for next summer. I have received a rental booklet but not having been to Ocracoke before, I am confused on which area to stay in. Can someone enlighten me on the different neighborhoods/areas to stay, and the pros and cons? Also, where do you actucally go to get onto the beach?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: House rental on Ocracoke

Each area is mixed with rentals and locals

The first thing I would consider is your level of mobility. The best way to get around Ocracoke is by bike or foot. Do you want to be closer to the harbor area or are you able to bike a small distance to the harbor? I would also consider how much you want to spend-pick a few out and then ask us again according to what area the houses are in.

There are sound and canal front homes, but no oceanfront. You can access the beach all along HYW 12 but can park and walk over at the airport about 2 miles from the village. Many people bring 4WD and drive on the beach. There are several ramps to choose from.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: House rental on Ocracoke

Lynn has covered it all I would shy away from the Oyster creek area if you want to walk to restaurant's or shops, however there are some real nice places back there on canals or sound side, We just spent 2 weeks in a Boyet Condo, the best location for us walking distance to most all the shops and restaurants too I like the Cat Ridge area myself or any where close to Silver Lake

Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: House rental on Ocracoke

Thanks for the info! I just needed a starting point! I'm sure we'll have bikes, and my kids are older teens. Riding to the restaurants and shops, and to not be too far away sounds nice. I guess we'll be driving to the beach, as biking may be too far, correct?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: House rental on Ocracoke

We see plenty of people biking to the beach, but it is a long way, plus you can't take boogie boards, chairs, coolers etc...

5. Re: House rental on Ocracoke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:22 am, October 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ocracoke
Recent Conversations