We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is there for teens within 20 minutes?

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
47 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
What is there for teens within 20 minutes?

We are looking at OI for a July trip; the beach/resort look perfect for the daytime, but we are traveling with 6 kids ages 10-13-15-16-18 & 21...and in the evening they like to walk around and go into shops or hang out at tiki type restaurants with the family. Is there anything like that within about 20 mins? I know MB is about 45 mins, which will work once or twice, but not every night. They would love places where they would "run into" other teens, and I am not sure there will be any of that in the OI area.

Shallotte River Swamp Park
Game & Entertainment Centers, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Boat Tours
Carolina School of Surf
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Gear Rentals
Silver Coast Winery
Wineries & Vineyards
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is there for teens within 20 minutes?

If you haven't already reserved a place at OI, I'd highly recommend moving your vacation one beach over to Holden Beach; it is much more family friendly. When looking to purchase beach property years ago we looked at OI, Sunset Beach and Holden Beach, and one of the many reasons we ended up choosing Holden was that there was so much more for kids to do.

At Holden Beach there is a small waterpark; good size arcades, several rides and putt putt golf courses, etc. and ice cream shops where the kids can hang out. The island has wide sidewalks and bike trails throughout the island for the kids (and adults) to ride bikes on. Holden Beach is very safe; my kids have been riding bikes to the ice cream shop, pier etc. for many years. (The arcades, waterpark, putt-putt courses, etc. are all over the bridge just on the mainland so you'll need to drive them there.)

As far as restaurants at Holden Beach go, families love Provisions Company on the Inter Coastal Waterway (casual food, watch the boats go by and listen to good live music), and also Castaways Bar and Grill on the island which also offers live music, and has an ocean view plus corn hole games outside to play.

If you've already made your reservations, Holden Beach is about a 20-30 minute drive by car from OI.(depends on traffic... it's much quicker by boat!)

Inland between OI and Holden you'll find the town of Shallotte, there is a large movie theater complex there and also a place called "Planet Fun" a complex with bowling and other games.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is there for teens within 20 minutes?

urbana, I think your kids will find enough stuff to do at Ocean Isle. I don't have a teen, but was there a couple of years ago and at that time there was a mini golf on the island and many shops and several restaurants. It looked like there were lots of teens having fun to me. We really enjoyed our time there. I don't like very commercial beaches, though, and haven't been to Myrtle in years, so take that with a grain of salt.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is there for teens within 20 minutes?

There is a putt-putt golf, the pier and a few beach shops right as you come over the bridge onto the island. You also have a couple walkable places to eat. Or you can rent a golf cart from the pier and explore the island. We love the quiet and laid back area. We drive to North MB, and it only takes about 25 minutes to get there. We also go to the Chilis in Shallotte to eat, which is about 10-15 minutes inland. We have stayed at the Ocean Isle Inn for many years and love it. But I see you have a large family, so I am betting you are renting a condo or house. You will love this beach, it is very wide and loaded with great shells and sharks teeth.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
15 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is there for teens within 20 minutes?

Gosh, I think the other posters all have great points. It is tough sometimes with teens (upper teens) who want to get out on their own at night without heading down to Barefoot Landing or MB. Holden is great and I agree wholeheartedly with the dining suggestions (esp Provisions).

We have teens 15 and 18, and our place is about a mile down OIB from the center point. They like walking down to the pier to explore, we all go to play mini-golf...and everyone likes the Laughing Mackerel or Sharky's for dinner. Movies in Shallotte is a great evening option that is only 15-20 minutes away. They also like to rent kayaks for the week and they spend time in the water til late every day/night.

Columbus, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: What is there for teens within 20 minutes?

We have teens in the same age group. They like going into Myrtle Beach, going to the movies in Shallote, and going to Planet Fun Center in Shallote. You can check out Planet Fun Center at http://planetfuncenter.com/. They have laser tag, bowling, and video games. I think they have a special on Tuesdays.

The other location for teens to "hang" would be the heart of OIB with the fishing pier, Sunset Slush, Breakers. and the putt putt golf. Hope that helps.

Edited: 11:05 am, March 28, 2012
6. Re: What is there for teens within 20 minutes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:29 am, May 03, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Ocean Isle Beach