We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OBX vs. Ocean Isle etc

NYC
3 posts
Save Topic
OBX vs. Ocean Isle etc

I'm planning a summer trip to North Carolina for a small of group of friends (4-6 people). Last year, we rented a house in Salvo on the OBX, which we really enjoyed. This year I was thinking about trying a non-OBX beach, perhaps a little further south. While I'm doing some research into different areas, I would love to get some personal feedback and recommendations on other NC beaches, especially on Ocean Isle or Holden. The only thing i wasn't too keen on last summer was the very rough surf around Salvo. If you go further south, does the surf become calmer at all? I spent childhood summers on Myrtle Beach in SC and remember the waves being much gentler!

We're looking for an area with a(relatively) quiet and uncrowded beach, with good fishing nearby. We don't need much in the way of restaurants, commercial strips or nightlife. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Carolina School of Surf
Gear Rentals, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Shallotte River Swamp Park
Game & Entertainment Centers, Boat Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Silver Coast Winery
Wineries & Vineyards
NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: OBX vs. Ocean Isle etc

Holden and Ocean Isle are both lovely beaches. And yes, the surf is a little less rough there than further north.

Holden is a residential, family-oriented beach. Quiet and nice. Ocean Isle has a few small hotels and condos but is also a more serene place than the Grand Strand further south. Cooke Realty at Ocean Isle has various accommodations and price ranges. I have used them and been pleased.

They are both great locations because you can have an old fashioned family beach experience and still drive into Myrtle area if you want to avail yourself to the amenities there.

Little River and Calabash are nearby for fishing charters/trips.

Best wishes.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
654 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OBX vs. Ocean Isle etc

I prefer Ocean Isle. Pretty low key and family oriented. Good fishing in the channel - where the intercoastal waterway and ocean meet . Many boat charters avail. also. Great wide flat beach when the tide goes out. Water is warmer then OBX also. Calabash nearby with casual seafood restaurants, buffetts, shopping, etc. Have fun!

tn
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: OBX vs. Ocean Isle etc

I think you would prefer Ocean Isle as well. Last year seemed like the surf was a little rougher, but still very nice. Very quiet beach as compared to others on the coast.

Get answers to your questions about Ocean Isle Beach