We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean isle vs Corolla, NC

Which Ocean Isle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean isle vs Corolla, NC

We are a large family with lots of kids(teens to young adults) going to be staying oceanfront home with lots of amenties. havent decided which area yet. will stay mostly at home but want some places to go just a couple days like restaurants and short days trips like a light house or go carts. prefer uncrowded beaches. which area is best for inexpensive good restaurants, close grocery store, and a wide flat beach for playing football? which beach is good for riding bikes? which area has bike trails?

Thanks!!!

5rats

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean isle vs Corolla, NC

I don't think they allow bikes on Ocean Isle Beach. You would want to call the OIB Chamber of Commerce to be sure. This is my favorite NC beach. It is very quiet with a wide flat beach. North Myrtle is only about 23 minutes south, and you know there is plenty of places to eat and things to do there. Maybe you should check out Hilton Head.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean isle vs Corolla, NC

Another place to check out is Ocean Creek Resort in Myrtle Beach. The is a huge resort with golf, several pools, tennis, walking paths, bike rentals, and it is oceanfront.

ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean isle vs Corolla, NC

We dont want a busy beach. The resort area would be busy wouldnt it? Have heard Hilton Head is busier & more expensive than OIB. We want more private area but yet a couple good restaurants and maybe a go cart/minigolf place. Any more thoughts?

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean isle vs Corolla, NC

OIB does have a mini golf, playground, a pier that serves breakfast and lunch, a couple of places to eat and an ice cream shop. We usually eat in North Myrtle or drive to Calabash, both just a short drive. We also order Dominos pizza, and have walked to the pier for take-out to eat on the beach, and share with the sea gulls. I have been to Kill Devil Hills (outerbanks), Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, Atlantic Beach and Myrtle Beach, and I still go back to OIB. We stay at the Ocean Isle Inn. It is a basic hotel, but the oceanfront views are great and it's about 10 steps to the sand! We usually go in July or August and I have never seen it crowded. Be sure to check out the pictures trip advisor.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean isle vs Corolla, NC

5rats what part of Ohio are you in?

ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean isle vs Corolla, NC

Perfect....thats what we want....something relaxing. A walk to the restaurant from the beach & eat on the beach would be awesome. does west end of Ocean Isle(which is close extremely close to canal) have restaurnats nearby? Is beach flat and wide?

Sueleay.....how long does it take you to drive to OIB? Traffic on sat? We are from Marietta, Ohio.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean isle vs Corolla, NC

It is 630 miles for us, we are in Massillon. It takes us 10 hours, now with that said, we only stop once in Virginia for gas. My daughter is now 18 so we don't have to stop a lot. Should only take you 8 hours, since your 2 hours closer. We have not really experience much traffic on the way there, except road construction of 77. Now the west end of OIB is the best, and the far end is private and gated. The only high rise on the island is there and it is condos, in which you could rent for the week. In 2009 that end of the beach was flat and very wide. I don't think you can walk to restaurants or the peir though. All the things I mentioned are near the bridge crossing onto the island. Once on the island there is not much traffic, all the roads are 25mph, which makes it great for bikes and walking. Contact Sloan Realty, I am sure they can help you in choosing the right place. Also use google earth to view the island. When I was looking into Topsail Island to visit, I even called a few local businesses to get the locals view of the area. Glad I did because that's when I chose OIB. Also go onto the Islander Inn and Ocean Isle Beach hotels websites, they both have live beach webcams. I think you and your famly will love this area.

Cincinnati, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean isle vs Corolla, NC

We have been to Ocean Isle Beach many times it is a quiet family beach. We always stay at The Winds Resort. There website has a live webcam so you can actually see the resort and beach. The Winds does have larger vacation homes it rents also, you also receive a free breakfast buffet every morning. We are from Cincinnati and it takes us about 11 hours, we drive down in 2 days, staying in Florence or Columbia, SC, we arrive about 12 noon the next day have lunch at Sharky's, we then check in and one of us goes to the SuperWalmart in Shallotte to get food.There are many vacation home rentals on the beach, Cooke Realty and Slone are good contacts also you can go online to VRBO (vacation rentals by owner) and there are homes you can rent directly without paying as many fees. I agree with the other post about restaurants, we usually eat in Calabash or North Myrtle Beach.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean isle vs Corolla, NC

We've stayed all over from Charleston to Myrtle as well as OBX and have found OIB to be our favoite. Nice, clean WIDE beach and very casual. We've had our kids there at 8 & 12, again at 11 & 15 and returning this July at 14 & 18 and they've always had a great time.

From Cleveland we give it 12 hrs but we usually drive from Ironton and stop halfway in Mt Airy, NC for fried porkchop sandwiches at Snappy Lunch (see Andy Griffith Show).

OIB is great. No Myrtle Beach rif raf, no OBX upscale sprawl. A very refreshing solution to your family vacation quest.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean isle vs Corolla, NC

ds4881 where do you stay at OIB. We too have been to every beach along the NC coast and OIB is the best. We have been staying at the Ocean Isle Inn, it is nice but would like to find somewhere else for longer stays in the future.

Get answers to your questions about Ocean Isle Beach