We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need vacation planning help

Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Need vacation planning help

I am in the process of researchin a May 2011 vacation to the Wilmington area. My husband and I want to stay for about 4 nights on a quiet beach (ocean front location), then move inland somewhere to visit Wilmington and Southport and possibly a little further away--New Bern. I would like some suggestions as to which beach might be best (quiet, not too commercial). My preference was Ocean Isle, but I just read a lot of negative reviews about the Winds, which is where I had thought of staying. Also someone posted comments in the forums about the east end of Ocean Isle not being as nice as the west end. I am also considering Oak Island, but I guess any of the Wilmington beaches would be ok. I just don't know anything about any of them. Could someone give me a general idea of how these beaches compare: Carolina, Kure, Wrightsville, Oak Island and Ocean Isle.

Thanks so much for your help. It may help you to know that we love Nags Head, especially south NH, and dislike places like Myrtle Beach and Virginia Beach.

Chicago
Level Contributor
47 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need vacation planning help

In the past few years I have been to both Ocean Isle and Kure Beach in the general Wilmington area. We preferred Ocean Isle much more than Kure Beach. The beach and surrounding areas seemed much less busy and cleaner in OIB than in Kure beach. OIB was a laid-back atmosphere but has easy access for any number of daytrips: Myrtle or Wilmington.

Also, the traffic getting past Wilmington, Wrightsville, and Carolina beach was much worse than anything in OIB. We spent 2 weeks in OIB this past summer and had a great time.

Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need vacation planning help

Thanks ZJsDad for taking time to reply to my post. After waiting a few weeks,it didn't look like anyone was going to answer me, so I booked a place in Nags Head for that time. I'm used to the OBX forums which are very active. Apparently this one isn't. I'll keep your advice in mind for a future trip. we still want to see that area of NC sometime.

3. Re: Need vacation planning help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, February 10, 2011
Eastern Kentucky
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need vacation planning help

We vacationed at Ocean Isle last summer. It's a nice little place. The beach is clean. There are a few restaurants. We stayed at Ocean Cove Condos. Our condo was very small, but for two people, it was adequate. It was clean, comfy, and cute. The kitchen was well-stocked. It was a good location right beside the pier, within walking distance of restaurants and an ice cream shop. My DH played golf a couple of times. I went to the beach or rode the bike I rented while he golfed.

We rented it from Cooke Realty. www.cookerealty.com

Edited: 11:49 am, May 11, 2011
5. Re: Need vacation planning help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, October 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Ocean Isle Beach