We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place to stay with kids?

Washington, DC
3 posts
Save Topic
Good place to stay with kids?

My family and I are intersted in staying somewhere on the NC Coast for the 2009 Summer. A week in August most likely. We are not sure where to go though. We have benn to carolla/duck/outer banks area many times before and want to try something different. My kids range from 12-19 so there must be things to do (go carts, mini gulf, jet skis, ect) and nice beaches! Is OIB a good place to stay?

Thanks in advance.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Good place to stay with kids?

Sounds like you should go 30 minutes south to Myrtle Beach SC.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good place to stay with kids?

Ocean Isle Beach is a very quite beach town. There is a small putt-putt and ice cream place, and a couple places to eat, and that's about it. We love it for that. We travel 10 hours for the wide flat beach and warm waters. If you have to entertain your children you will want to go to Myrtle Beach. There is something to do at every corner, and a lot of kids. Also there are lifeguards on that beach, where Ocean Isle Beach does not have any.

New Tripoli, PA
Level Contributor
281 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good place to stay with kids?

I agree with Sue. We've been coming to Ocean Isle since our kids were toddlers, and it's still their choice, though they're in their 20's and one is married. The really GREAT thing about Ocean Isle when you have teens is that you can leave them out to have their freedom, and they've got plenty to do (The teens mostly hang out at the ice cream spot and the pier building, especially at night. No explanation for it, but that's what they do.) but they're still VERY safe, EVEN at night, (You won't find that kind of safety if you stay in Myrtle.) & if they DO stray, it's not hard to find them. You have plenty to do there (mini golf, kayaks, jet skis etc) and if you get bored you can go to Myrtle Beach or Wilmington, (Wilmington has a skate board park-- my son wanted to live there!) but you don't have the crowded beaches.

We'll be going again the week of August 15-22...it'll be our 18th year, I think...

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good place to stay with kids?

We just returned from our 8th year at OIB. We have a 16yr old who would rather come to OIB than go to myrtle beach, and we gave her the option. It is a short drive to Myrtle, and we drove there every afternoon after a morning of beach time. If you want quiet nice beaches where you and your kids will feel safe I would recommend coming to Ocean Isle and staying, and driving to Myrtle if you want to do shopping and entertainment.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good place to stay with kids?

Feds1988 where did you stay at Ocean Isle Beach. This August will be our third year there, we always stay at Ocean Isle Inn, but would love to hear about other places.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good place to stay with kids?

Sue,

We always rent a house or a condo(one time only though). This year we used RH McClure-I probably would not use them again as we had air problems and there was no way of contacting anyone on an emergent basis on the weekends(11pm) whereas other rental agencies have a answering service. Past years we have used Sloane Realty which we liked as well as Beachrentalsdirect.com--which we really liked.

7. Re: Good place to stay with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ocean Isle Beach