We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting worried!!!

1 post
Save Topic
Getting worried!!!

We are leaving for Oak Island in 6 days for the first time,( usually do outer banks)and I was reading some bad reviews of beach and water can anyone make me feel better about our choice???

NC
Level Contributor
864 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting worried!!!

Well, the Atlantic Ocean is not our favorite, so we are not fans of Atlantic Ocean beaches, but that's just us. Once you've been to the Caribbean and see the differences in the ocean and sand, it can change your thoughts about the beaches here.

Anyway, normally it's fine, but, I would assume their will be lots of beach erosion after this weekend and Arthur rips through here. It may not be in the best shape when you arrive, but I'm sure it will be fine. They will want to clean up ASAP and get everything ready for visitors. There is still a lot of summer time left & they want everyone that has a trip planned to still head out there, so they will be working hard and fast to clean up.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting worried!!!

Don't worry, I think you all will have a nice vacation... hopefully no more hurricanes this season! It's supposed to be a mild season, so I hope we've got it all out of the way for the year. :) Our vacation home is on Holden Beach, one island South(West) of Oak Island, and from what I've been told there's very little erosion or damage from Hurricane Arthur at Holden Beach, I would think it would be similar over on Oak Island.

While Oak Island isn't my favorite NC beach, it's much better than others. As for the waters there, the North/East (the NC Brunswick Islands run more East-West than North-South) end of Oak island is right at the mouth of the large Cape Fear River, therefore the water is more cloudy/churned up than waters along the West/South end of the island and along much of the other Brunswick Islands. (all of the islands have strong currents at their own inlets..but smaller rivers, so not the poorer water quality that part of Oak Island has) With the exception of the inlets, our Brunswick beaches have nice calm surf most days, waters much nicer than the Outer Banks.

Much of Oak Island is still kinda "old fashioned" beach looking, something I grow to appreciate more and more. If you could stay just on the island, oceanfront or within a block or two from the beach, I think it's quite nice, it's all the growth deep on the island and just off the island proper that's troublesome to me. Homes built WAY away from the beach, and from talking to other first-time visitors, many had no idea that they really weren't staying anywhere near the beach, ended up having to drive and find a place to park to go to the beach...I guess I'm spoiled, but that's totally unacceptable to me. There's no home on our Holden Beach island that you can't walk to the beach from; if not an oceanfront home, the great majority of homes are within 5-10 minutes walk. We also have nice wide sidewalks that bike riders can share, that's something not found at Oak Island and most other NC beaches. Anyway, I hope you are staying at a location where you can walk to the beach. I think the beach at Oak Island is generally nice, I was over there a few weeks ago, about mid-island, and there was plenty of beach left at high tide.

All the development has lead to a lot of congestion just off the island, and on to nearby Southport. However, you can still find some nice quiet roads in the area, and a visit to Southport, although it's now crowded/congested too, is time well spent. Enjoy!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting worried!!!

I'm not sure what you heard but we're here now and it seems okay to me. It's not crystal clear water but that's not unusual. We have two boys who spend hours boogie boarding and they have been having a great time. Waves aren't fantastic but they're little and can catch a good ride on them. My husband and I can even catch a good ride with the right wave. Have fun!

Lumberton, North...
Level Contributor
100 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting worried!!!

Don't worry. You'll have a great time at Oak Island. Staying with friends on Oak Island this weekend. I just spent part of last week at Ocean Isle, with unnoticeable storm damage, I'm sure Oak Island is similar. Some on here make a point to "bash" all NC beaches except for the one they visit. You know how some people think that everyone should do as they do because they know what best and know better than you, oh if only everyone could be just like them. Wouldn't the world be grand!

Oak Island is a beautiful beautiful beach as are all the Brunswick County beaches. Southport is a great little coastal town with many cool shops to explore. Ft. Fisher, the NC Aquarium and then a quick trip to Wilmington are just a ferry ride away.

Edited: 4:35 pm, July 07, 2014
Saint Marys, West...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting worried!!!

Oak Island is wonderful! Pet friendly, not crowded, perfect family beach!

6. Re: Getting worried!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 19, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Oak Island