We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do restaurants

White Bear Lake...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Must do restaurants

We just booked a trip to Nags Head for the last week of August. What are the not to miss restaurants in Nags Head (or close by) for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do restaurants

Lunch or diner are all I will speak of. These are the best in my opinion in the area (no particular order):

Owens

Blue Moon

Blue Water Grill

Tail of the Whale

Colington Cafe

Ocean Blvd (kitty hawk)

Salt Box

Honorable mentions:

Kelly's

Miller's Waterfront

Food Dudes (small)

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do restaurants

Our favorites:

Grits Grill, it's open 6 am to 2 p.m. daily and serves breakfast and lunch menu at all times.

The Dunes Restaurant, open for breakfast and dinner

Basnights Lone Cedar has Sunday brunch starting at 11, it's great! Otherwise just open for dinner.

Sugar Shack in causeway next to Sugar Creek restaurant, very casual, great lunch and dinner for, does take out or cook your own pots, for a few or a crowd.

Owens is a favorite for fancy dinners, same with Kelly's.

Lucky 12 has good pizza, home cooking, serves pizza until 1 am, great beer selection.

Fish Heads on the Outer Banks Pier, mile post 18.5 off Old Oregon Inlet rd, has limited casual menu for breakfast, lunch, dinner but terrific views and fabulous bar with lots of craft beer selections. Do not miss it!

St. Paul
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do restaurants

Thank you for the suggestions! We are very excited for our first trip!

Virginia
Level Contributor
321 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do restaurants

Breakfast: 1. Nags Head Pier (oceanfront and good b'fast);

2. Miller's on the beachroad (look for coupons for free pot of coffee)

Lunch: Blue Moon (in small strip mall in Nags Head)

Dinner:

Owen's (our favorite restaurant period!)

Basnight's Lone Cedar Cafe (on the Manteo causeway)

Kill Devil Hills...
Level Contributor
52 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do restaurants

I would also recommend most of the other selections already mentioned, but no one has mentioned "The Kill Devil Grill". To me…….and many others……this is the BEST Restaurant in town. You will probably have to wait for a table (or you can sit at the bar and eat), but it is worth it. Try to order off of the special board and be sure to save room for a dessert (share it). Also, another fun small local spot for lunch in Art's Place and be sure to try the (Blackened) Fish Tacos at Mama Kwans. Enjoy your trip!

ohio
Level Contributor
534 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do restaurants

Just visited Nags Head for the first time last month. Tortugas was recommended to us and we liked it very much. Probably my favorite restaurant we tried in the area. http://www.tortugaslie.com/

Also, although the food wasn't anything really special (but not bad) we loved sitting on the deck at Captain Andy's. http://www.nhpierrestaurant.com/

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,200 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do restaurants

Thanks for posting this thread.

Very useful information.

Slainte

Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do restaurants

Drive to Kitty Hawk and try The Black Pelican. I also like Goombays, The Sugar Shack and The Thai Room.

Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must do restaurants

Drive to Kitty Hawk and try The Black Pelican. I also like Goombays, The Sugar Shack and The Thai Room.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
372 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must do restaurants

Another vote for Basnight's Lone Cedar. The fish is caught the same day and an insert tells you the name of the fisherman or in my case, fisherwoman. Plus they have a kitchen garden right there making for yummy salads and vegetables.

You may also want to grab some Duck Donuts; several locations.

Edited: 9:30 pm, June 17, 2016