We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Outer Banks

MI
2 posts
Save Topic
New to Outer Banks

My family and I are travelling to the Outer Banks this year at Labor Day. We are renting an ocean front home in Nags Head.

Has anyone stayed at 6101 - Ocean's Rest or SNH-9 7 C's? These are the homes we are looking at.

Looking for advice on eating out, things to do, places to see, etc.

Thanks

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Outer Banks

TommyBoy,

My family and I have been vacationing in the Outer Banks since 1966!

The homes that you are looking to rent...who is the rental agency?

Places to visit would be Jockey's Ridge State Park......largest sand dunes on the east coast........Wright Brothers Memorial.....Fort Raleigh....

Depending on how far you want to drive in the area...there are a number of lighthouses in the area......Cape Hatteras, the most notable is the highest lighthouse on the east coast...Cape Hatteras National Seashore is @ 60 miles from NagsHead.

As far as dining is concerned there is everything from fast food to restaurants with great local tradition....Sam and Omies, Owens ranks 1st with my family as dinner is concerned...they only serve dinner....opening at 5:00....Miller's Restaurant..good breakfast..

Duneburger.....great for lunch or a quick burger for dinner...Port O' Call another family favorite for dinner

I am sure there are some newer restaurants that are worthwhile too.......We stick to our traditional restauants...Others will post ideas too.

If you need any more info....let me know

Lover of the Outer Banks!

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Outer Banks

Here is a list of places hubby and I enjoyed in late November:

1. Kill Devil Grill (Beach Road MP 9.5): great service, excellent goat cheese pizza

2. Awful Arthur's (Beach Road MP 6): great atmopshere, excellent shrimp salad sandwich, crab soup, and yummy french fries.

3. Lucky 12 Tavern (Beach Road MP 12): great atmosphere, cool tunes, blue moon on tap

4. Pub and Grub (Rodanthe, Hwy 12): excellent spicy tuna bites and crab balls, holiday beer on tap

5. Big Al's (historic Manteo): OK service, tuna melt was good

6. Had a great time at the Wright Memorial. Definitely worth the $4 entry fee.

MI
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Outer Banks

Thanks for all of the good ideas.

The rental company is Seaside Vacations. We have actually switched to the week after Labor Day. We are saving $600 for the week.

Allen Park, Michigan
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Outer Banks

Hi TommyBoy31!

You are so lucky to be able to switch to the week after Labor Day - the prices drop dramatically! Unfortunately, our kids go back to school that week so we will be heading down the week before Labor Day (the next best week for pricing!!)

We are renting a house in South Nags Head and it will be our first visit to the area. The pictures on the internet look amazing and everything I've read sounds great - hope it all lives up to its reputation!

You will be heading down as we are coming home, maybe we'll pass you somewhere in Ohio!!!

Hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation!

Lori

Virginia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: New to Outer Banks

We are also traveling to OBX this summer and will have several young children with us, are there any indoor/outdoor restaurants someone can recommend, that also have good food?

East Coast
Level Contributor
473 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to Outer Banks

Awful Arthurs is nice. We like Jolly Roger's a lot. It is more of a local joint and the food is good. They have some great Friday night specials. Breakfast is cheap too. I love their breakfast. They have a great special for like 2.99 that includes 2 eggs anyway, a choice of potatoes or grits and homemade bread. It does not include the meat but believe me it is enough food. We order it take out a lot.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to Outer Banks

We always get ice cream at Kill Devils Frozen Custard and Beach Fries on The Bypass (Rt 158) at the Kill Devil Hills/Nags Head town borderlines. They have great burgers, too. There are a few tables undercover and some by the parking lot. Take a look at www.SunnyDayGuide.com and www.VGNet.com for info and money savings coupons.

8. Re: New to Outer Banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:31 am, October 09, 2009